Helsinki

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default Helsinki

It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport
into town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to
go into town for part of that 8 hours?

--
Ken Blake
Old September 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

On 21/09/2011 5:27 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport
into town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to
go into town for part of that 8 hours?

The airport is not far out of the city so you could probably go by taxi.
The amount of time you have may depend on the type of flight. If it is
a short up within the EU you don't have to be at the airport too far
ahead, but if it is an international flight they will probably want you
there earlier.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:27:27 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport into
town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to go into
town for part of that 8 hours?

Finnair operates a shuttle bus service into the center of Helsinki to a
terminal next to the somewhat famous Rail station. it takes about a half
hour each way.

http://media.finnair.com/files/pdf/F..._TIMETABLE.pdf

There's quite a bit to see and do in the vicinity. Only you can figure
out how much time you would have in Helsinki, but I would suggest walking
a block to the Esplanadi and then strolling east to the open air market
at the head of the harbor (although this should be in the morning; the
maket prretty mcuh fades away by mid-afternoon).

There is a tram route that passes in front of the train station: the 3B
and the 3T (they're the same route but they go opposite directions on
what is a continuous loop of a route). There is a pamphlet for the 3T
version because the route passes quite close to most of Helsinki's
attractions. If you go down into the ground following the Metro signs you
will come to a large transit hall with tickets and pamphlets and stuff.
Or you can download a PDF of the pamphlet by Googling for ... helsinki
tram 3t ... The good thing is that the 3B and 3T trams will return you to
the train station.

The 3B tram can be sued for direct transit to the harbor market. But I
highly recommend the stroll to the market down the very pleasant
Esplanadi. On the esplanade is a marvelous Victorian structure, Kapelli,
where you can rest for a bit with a beer or a coffee; it has a nice bar
and outdoor seating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjD-YhVMHJ0

Nightlife in Helsinki can be pretty good as well.

--
Dave Hatunen: Free Baja Arizona
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

Great! Thanks very much (and thanks to Dave Smith as well).

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:19:14 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

On 21/09/2011 5:27 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport
into town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to
go into town for part of that 8 hours?

The airport is not far out of the city so you could probably go by taxi.
The amount of time you have may depend on the type of flight. If it is
a short up within the EU you don't have to be at the airport too far
ahead, but if it is an international flight they will probably want you
there earlier.

Thanks very much.

We'll be flying from there to Amsterdam. I assume that is what you
call "a short up within the EU," and we will only have to at the
airport an hour before departure. Is that correct?

--
Ken Blake
Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

wrote:

On 21/09/2011 5:27 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport
into town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to
go into town for part of that 8 hours?

The airport is not far out of the city so you could probably go by taxi.
The amount of time you have may depend on the type of flight. If it is
a short up within the EU you don't have to be at the airport too far
ahead, but if it is an international flight they will probably want you
there earlier.

Thanks very much.

We'll be flying from there to Amsterdam. I assume that is what you
call "a short up within the EU," and we will only have to at the
airport an hour before departure. Is that correct?

Yes, an hour should do, maybe 90 minutes to be on the safe side, depends on
the airline, so check with them first.

Regards,

Frank
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year.

8 hours total is a bit on short side to go to town proper (and be back
in time for the flight). I would recommend to spend the time closer
to the airport

I posted a similar query for a shorter wait time in 2007 in this NG. You
could use google group search for subject "things to do near Helsinki
airport". I think there were two interesting suggestions, a nearby
village-museum and an aviation museum, anyhow I ended not doing anything
like that, just waited a bit here and there (I seem to recall that the
waiting area of our arrivals - I guess was "Europe extra Schengen" at
the time - was less crowded and had more comfortable seats than our
departure - definitely "Europe/Schengen" - so we tried to sit in there
reading for most of the time).

Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos[_2_]

22.9.2011 2:04, David Hatunen kirjoitti:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:27:27 -0700, Ke

The 3B tram can be sued for direct transit to the harbor market. But I
highly recommend the stroll to the market down the very pleasant
Esplanadi. On the esplanade is a marvelous Victorian structure, Kapelli,
where you can rest for a bit with a beer or a coffee; it has a nice bar
and outdoor seating.

The correct spelling really goes as Kappeli. Kappeli is closed for
renovation now. It is supposed to open on Thursday 27.10.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:59:28 +0300, Rudi wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:27:27 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

It looks like we are going to have a long layover (about 8 hours) in
Helsinki next year. Can someone tell me how to get from the airport into
town and back, and how long it will take? Does it make sense to go into
town for part of that 8 hours?

8 hours total is a bit on short side to go to town proper (and be back
in time for the flight). I would recommend to spend the time closer to
the airport,for example just across the Ring motorway, about
10 minutes taxi drive from the airport door, is the Flamingo
entertainment centre, lots of stuff including movie theaters,
minigolf, bowling alley and a spa.

Thanks, but those things aren't my cup of tea. You say 8 hours is on
the short side, but it seems to me that if we reduce it to 6-1/2 hours
to get back 90 minutes before departure, then deduct a half hour for
the ride to the city and a half hour for the ride back, plus another
hour to wait for shuttles, we have 4-1/2 hours to spend in the city,
and that should be a good thing to do. If something is wrong with my
calculations, please let me know.

--
Ken Blake