As seen on A&E Airline

Old February 18th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Thomas Smith

Default As seen on A&E Airline

I was watching "Airline" on A&E on Monday. The show is a documentary on
Southwest Airline's operations at LAX and MDW. On Monday's episode, they
had a problem when they overbooked a MDW to FLL flight by 53 passengers.
Several passengers were on a cruise (you could see the Carnival documents)
and may have ended up missing the ship. After you watch this episode, you
will not question the wisdom of flying down to the port city the day before
a cruise.

--
Tom Smith
"The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one!"

Old February 18th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:01:41 GMT, "Thomas Smith"
-NO-SPAM wrote:

After you watch this episode, you
will not question the wisdom of flying down to the port city the day before
a cruise.

Hi Tom,

You are correct. We Tivoed and watched it last night. Who needs the
stress. If this show did not get cruisers to go a day early, if
possible, then nothing will. We discussed making a copy of this show
and sending it to all clients that wish to travel the day of
sailing. :+( There was at least one lady who definitely missed the
ship and her son (?) probably made it because she insisted on calling
Carnival instead of getting on the plane. These folks were shuttled
back to Chicago (their origination point) after flying to Indy and
then they were getting on a flight to Orlando. Their cruise was
leaving from Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. I seriously doubt
that any of the 53 made their cruise. The producers of the show never
told us one way or the other.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Robert Browne

From: "Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM

Especially with their being desperate for volunteers ... A nice first

class
flight down on the next available flight and free tickets for another

flight
would be the minimum ...

If it's Southwest it won't be first class.
Bob

Old February 18th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Mocha Face

I saw that too, and kept saying "Tsk...tsk..." to myself, then
panicking because I was fearful of that happening to me on April 30th,
then I remembered that I don't have to be on the ship till the first
of May. I wonder if there would be a chance of missing the ship even
in those circumstances, if there were no open spaces on flights till
the next day. Eeek!

I would be absolutely horrified, and wonder also how late some of
those passengers on the show were for their ship. JJ

Old February 18th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thomas Smith

Southwest does not have a first class section on their planes. Also, they
do not have any interline agreements so they wouldn't be put on another
airline.

Tom Smith

From: "Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM

After you watch this episode, you
will not question the wisdom of flying down to the port city the day

before
a cruise.

Especially with their being desperate for volunteers ... A nice first

class
flight down on the next available flight and free tickets for another

flight
would be the minimum ...

One could not take that option if leaving the day of the cruise ...

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old February 18th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thomas Smith

Ray,

I didn't see where they were cruising from. It could have been Port
Everglades, but I thought it was more likely Miami. Carnival does shuttle
people from FLL to Port of Miami. The bus may take the HOV lanes on I-95.
The lanes become barrier separated and go way up in the air around the
junction with Florida's Turnpike and US 441, which can be uncomfortable if
anyone is afraid of heights.

Tom Smith

Old February 18th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:15:42 GMT, "Thomas Smith"
-NO-SPAM wrote:

I didn't see where they were cruising from. It could have been Port
Everglades, but I thought it was more likely Miami.

Hi Tom,

They were trying to reach FLL but they did not say where they were
cruising from. Some were on Carnival but I would not assume they all
were cruising Carnival.