Bombs in LOndon

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Andy Pandy

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
Rita, its GB or UK, England is just part of it, I know a lot of
non europeans dont know that.

But don't call it GB if yer talking to someone from Ulster ;-)

What's "it"? GB and the UK are two different things.

GB is England Scotland and Wales and the UK is GB plus Northern Ireland.

I'm in Ulster, and I don't care.

But I do object when people speak of Northern Ireland as Ulster.

Of course - as there are 3 counties in Ulster which are in the RoI.

--
Andy

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think this is an appropiate reaction at this time.

he's a rather unpleasant self confessed troll.

Clearly. Best wishes from the USA in this time of confusion and
sadness.

Thanks.

Just a shame how such incidents bring out some peoples' bigotry.

--
Andy

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
oups.com...
But I do object when people speak of Northern Ireland as Ulster.

I was mostly joking. But Ulster is in Northern Ireland, as I'm sure you
know. Not sure what the big deal is.

No, NI is in Ulster.

--
Andy

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
wrote:

It's a shame we can't make the cretins who kill themselves in the name
of God understand that they don't get 72 virgins, they just get dead,

I'm pretty sue that they don't do it for the virgins. They might have
a belief system that differs from yours, but that doesn't mean that
they are more foolish or gullible than you.

My understanding is that the reward in heaven figures pretty heavily in
the suicide bomber mentality. I would say that they are brainwashed.

and end up in hell if there is one.

If you want to persuade people, you don't start by regarding them as
cretins; cretins are notoriously difficult to teach.

Well, I was being a bit facetious, but I certainly don't have much
repspect for their approach and while they may be intelligent, their
religious indoctrination has pretty much made that moot. They blow
themselves up and kill other people. There's something very wrong
there.

Try to understand your enemy, and why he his your enemy. Then you
might have a chance of dealing with the problem. If you do not try to
understand, then you have no claim to moral superiority.

Agree that one should try to understand the enemy, but even if one does
not, people who blow up innocent people are certainly morally inferior
in my book. But I also understand that one needs to look at the whole
picture and the US/UK are far from blameless in this whole thing.

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a shame we can't make the cretins who kill themselves in the name
of God understand that they don't get 72 virgins, they just get dead,

I'm pretty sue that they don't do it for the virgins. They might have
a belief system that differs from yours, but that doesn't mean that
they are more foolish or gullible than you.

My understanding is that the reward in heaven figures pretty heavily in
the suicide bomber mentality.

Of course it is. In fact what they do makes much more sense than religious
people who think they will go to heaven, but who don't positively *want* to die
as soon as possible.

If I though I was going to end up somewhere wonderful, I'd want to get there as
soon as I could.

--
Andy

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Andy Pandy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
But I do object when people speak of Northern Ireland as Ulster.

I was mostly joking. But Ulster is in Northern Ireland, as I'm sure you
know. Not sure what the big deal is.

No, NI is in Ulster.

Oh. In that case, never mind ;-)

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was mostly joking. But Ulster is in Northern Ireland, as I'm sure you
know. Not sure what the big deal is.

No, NI is in Ulster.

Oh. In that case, never mind ;-)

There are 9 counties in Ulster, 6 of which are in Northern Ireland and 3 of
which are in the Republic of Ireland.

--
Andy

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Andy Pandy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a shame we can't make the cretins who kill themselves in the name
of God understand that they don't get 72 virgins, they just get dead,

I'm pretty sue that they don't do it for the virgins. They might have
a belief system that differs from yours, but that doesn't mean that
they are more foolish or gullible than you.

My understanding is that the reward in heaven figures pretty heavily in
the suicide bomber mentality.

Of course it is. In fact what they do makes much more sense than religious
people who think they will go to heaven, but who don't positively *want* to die
as soon as possible.

For those who have absolute certainty about their religious beliefs,
yes.

For those who are a bit more sophisticated and understand that absolute
certainty about the afterlife isn't in the cards, no. No one's ever
come back to let us know for sure.

Also, there is the idea that even if there is a heaven, the correct
thing to do is try to live one's life on earth as well as possible.

These are deep topics.

Old July 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I didn't complain. Complaining about the result of free elections seems
to me a rather pointless thing to do. (Regretting or disliking the
results is a different matter.)