Italy: Traveling from Rome to Sorrento

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:03 PM
John Hufford

Default Italy: Traveling from Rome to Sorrento

Hi,
My Wife, myself and another couple are touring Italy in late April and
early May. We'll fly into Rome and then take the train to Sorrento. This
requires that in Naples we change from EuroStar to Circumvesuvia. I
originally assumed that both these train systems used the same terminal in
Naples. However, recently in a mapping program I noticed that there are
two train stations in Naples approximately 1 Km apart. The train from Rome
arrives at Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni. Does the Circumvesuvia to
Sorrento depart from the Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni? Or do we need to
plan on other ground transportation to get from one terminal to the other?

Also, we have consulted with a local travel agent regarding advance
tickets/reservations for our train travel needs. The travel agent tells us
that they can obtain advance tickets and reservations on all except the
private railways like the Circumvesuvia routings. Our plans call for
riding Circumvesuvia from Naples to Sorrento on the day we arrive, Sorrento
to Pompeii and return in the same day on two consecutive days and then
Sorrento to Naples at the end of this leg of our journey. Is it possible
that there are passes available for the Circumvesuvia railway that this
travel agent doesn't know about?

Thanks in advance! This is a really great group. I really enjoyed reading
all the postings about Italy the other day on this group.
Old March 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Beaker

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:03:53 -0000, John Hufford quoth:
Hi,
My Wife, myself and another couple are touring Italy in late April and
early May. We'll fly into Rome and then take the train to Sorrento. This
requires that in Naples we change from EuroStar to Circumvesuvia. I
originally assumed that both these train systems used the same terminal in
Naples. However, recently in a mapping program I noticed that there are
two train stations in Naples approximately 1 Km apart. The train from Rome
arrives at Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni. Does the Circumvesuvia to
Sorrento depart from the Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni?

When I went there in 1999 the two stations were connected by a
hallway/tunnel. I don't think we went outside, but I'm fuzzy on that part.
I think we followed signs through hallways from one to the other.
The circumvesuviana is sort of like a commuter rail system.

Good luck in Sorrento, which is a cute town. Mmmmm...limoncello....

bkr

Old March 9th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Alas I cannot remember the names of the stations. A couple of years ago
when I took the Eurostar to Naples it ended at what is essentially the
same station that the Circumvesuvia departed from. They had different
names probably because of the ownership differences but it was primarily
a difference in platform level. The Circumvesuvia is on a level below
the Eurostar. Just take your time and stroll to the ticket counter and
then the train. If you miss one there will be another soon. If you are
in a hurry just send the wives on ahead to get the tickets while you
schlep the luggage. Watch out for the overpriced baggage helpers. FFM

John Hufford wrote:

Hi,
My Wife, myself and another couple are touring Italy in late April and
early May. We'll fly into Rome and then take the train to Sorrento. This
requires that in Naples we change from EuroStar to Circumvesuvia. I
originally assumed that both these train systems used the same terminal in
Naples. However, recently in a mapping program I noticed that there are
two train stations in Naples approximately 1 Km apart. The train from Rome
arrives at Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni. Does the Circumvesuvia to
Sorrento depart from the Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni? Or do we need to
plan on other ground transportation to get from one terminal to the other?

snip

Old March 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Doug Burke

Like the others have said, the two train stations are only a few hundred
yards apart. Making the connection is no big deal.

Regarding your second question, we drove to Sorrento so we didn't use
the train getting there but we wanted to use the train to get to Rome (
we turned in the rental car in Sorrento). We bought the tickets for the
portion from Naples to Rome from a travel agent in Sorrento and it
worked great. We bought the Circumvesuvia tickets at the Sorrento train
station.

One little hint: When using Italian trains, one must get their ticket
punched in a little red box thingy (about the size of a rural mailbox)
right before boarding the train. The boxes are located on the train
platform. When the conductor comes around and sees you don't have your
ticket punched there is an on the spot fine as two girls sitting in
front of us found out.

Hope this helps.
Doug

Old March 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM
mimi

"Beaker" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the Circumvenusiana leaves from Napoli Centrale. The connection is
underground and there are some steps.

Marianne

Old March 9th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Alan Harrison

"John Hufford" wrote in message
Hi,
My Wife, myself and another couple are touring Italy in late April and
early May. We'll fly into Rome and then take the train to Sorrento. This
requires that in Naples we change from EuroStar to Circumvesuvia. I
originally assumed that both these train systems used the same terminal in
Naples. However, recently in a mapping program I noticed that there are
two train stations in Naples approximately 1 Km apart

The TERMINAL of the Circumvesuviana is indeed about a kilometre from Napoli
Centrale, but Circumvesuviana trains pass through the underground section of
Centrale.

Centrale is really three stations in one. Napoli Centrale is on the surface
and is a terminal station - i.e. the tracks come to a dead end, and all
trains calling there must reverse direction to leave again. If your train
from Rome arrives there, go downstairs and to the underground concourse
follow the signs to the Circumvesuviana station.

Napoli Piazza Garibaldi is underground, beneath the square in front of
Centrale. It serves two purposes - serving alocal underground (subway)
service and allowing a calling point for through expresses which will
continue to points beyond Naples (e.g. a train from Rome to Salerno),
avoiding the need for them to reverse in the surface station. If you arrive
here, go upstairs to the same underground concourse and follow the signs to
the Circumvesuviana station.

The Circumvesuviana is a narrow gauge system, operating a quite intense
commuter service. Fares are cheap, and you will not require passes. Unless
the system has changed, tickets must be stamped as you enter the platform
and used within a set time of stamping. (This is to prevent people from
cheating by buying one ticket and riding all day!)

Alan Harrison

Old March 9th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
John Hufford wrote:

Hi,
My Wife, myself and another couple are touring Italy in late April and
early May. We'll fly into Rome and then take the train to Sorrento. This
requires that in Naples we change from EuroStar to Circumvesuvia. I
originally assumed that both these train systems used the same terminal in
Naples. However, recently in a mapping program I noticed that there are
two train stations in Naples approximately 1 Km apart. The train from Rome
arrives at Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni. Does the Circumvesuvia to
Sorrento depart from the Napoli Centrale Grandi Stazioni? Or do we need to
plan on other ground transportation to get from one terminal to the other?

I just did this a month back in reverse. As others said, it's a level
down to the tunnel (some 300-400m)and ticket counter and then down a
stairs to the platform.

Also, we have consulted with a local travel agent regarding advance
tickets/reservations for our train travel needs. The travel agent tells us
that they can obtain advance tickets and reservations on all except the
private railways like the Circumvesuvia routings. Our plans call for
riding Circumvesuvia from Naples to Sorrento on the day we arrive, Sorrento
to Pompeii and return in the same day on two consecutive days and then
Sorrento to Naples at the end of this leg of our journey. Is it possible
that there are passes available for the Circumvesuvia railway that this
travel agent doesn't know about?

I think there may be day passes but they're not offered locally (at
leats not publicised)
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

then the train. If you miss one there will be another soon. If you are
in a hurry just send the wives on ahead to get the tickets while you
schlep the luggage. Watch out for the overpriced baggage helpers. FFM

We met up with some people we ran into at different hotels. They
cautioned that the "helpers" snatch your bags as soon as you get off so
be very wary.

FWIW, we travelled into Naples on an Intercity train (jus 10 minutes or
so slower than Eurostar) which only costs EUR22 per direction in FC. I
think the helpers ignore these trains and pick on the tourists coming
off eurostar trains.
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Alec

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
John Hufford wrote:

[...]

There are season tickets for commuters but they aren't suitable for
tourists. You should investigate one of Campania Artecard, which combines
free or discounted entrance to sites plus transport pass. Particularly good
value is 3-day all-zones pass for 25 euro, with free admission (incl Pompeii
and Herculaneum - normal entry 10 euro each) and free rides on all regional
transport (incl Vesuviana). You can buy at train stations in Naples and
Sorrento. http://www.artecard.it/

Alec

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
John Hufford

Thanks to all for your replys. It is so great to have this resource to
help fill in some of the details for my trip.