Review: Carnival Conquest out of Galveston - December 2008 (Long)

Old January 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Review: Carnival Conquest out of Galveston - December 2008 (Long)

"Warren" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 10:10 am, "Tom K" wrote:

Sounds like if you're not happy with HAL and not happy with Celebrity...
maybe you need to move up to Oceania, or even Crystal or Regent?

I think you mistake my impression that some cruise lines don't live up
to their hype with
being unhappy with them. For the fare I paid for Maasdam combined with
the various promotional perks I had, I certainly received a good
value.
I was bored in the evenings due to very lackluster entertainment and
the most blase cruise director that I can recall. It was a one-off
seven day
itinerary for the ship (she usually does 14 days) so the passenger mix
was quite diverse with large numbers of teens, 20's, 30's and 40's
aboard. The
usual wheelchair/walker brigade didn't dominate.

Please note that I am booked on Celebrity Solstice. And since my fare
dropped by $350 just this morning which might result in an upgrade to
Aqua Class, following a similar drop a couple of months ago along with
an upgrade to Concierge Class - I'm quite happy so far. ;-}

Having said that, we are looking at both Oceania and Regent for summer
2010. I would have to make it my only trip for 2010 so none of my solo
sailings, but it's a milestone birthday for me so I want to splurge.
Also considering QM2.

Do you see yourself trying Oceania or Regent?

Warren

Good question.... I see myself having just paid 4 years at NYU for Jon, and
now it's 4 years at George Washington for Lara. And Jon wants to go to Law
School. So now I see myself in inside cabins on the Regal Empress.

--Tom

Old January 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dean Worrell[_2_]

D Ball wrote:
Hi, y'all,

Because it looks like Texas will continue to limp along with just two
7-night ships for the foreseeable future (the Carnival Conquest and
the RCI Voyager of the Seas, which only winters here), I decided to
put together a review of our 2008 Christmas/Hanukkah week cruise on
the Conquest out of Galveston. If any future Conquest cruiser stumbles
across this post and wants copies of the daily Carnival Capers
newsletters or has questions, feel free to email me.

snip

Diana,

I really enjoyed reading about your cruise aboard the Conquest. It
brought back memories of our trip aboard her. We cruised out of NOLA in
the spring before Katrina.

We enjoyed the cruise. It's hard not to enjoy any cruise. But I had
only two gripes. The first was that the evening entertainment was
uniformly LOUD, ear-splitting loud. The second was that our assigned
table in the dining room had chairs for 2 and a banquette for the other
2. The annoyance was the banquette was much lower than the chairs and I
felt like a little kid sitting there. I have no idea what Carnival was
thinking.

Dean in Peoria
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

We enjoyed the cruise. *It's hard not to enjoy any cruise. *But I had
only two gripes. The first was that the evening entertainment was
uniformly LOUD, ear-splitting loud. *The second was that our assigned
table in the dining room had chairs for 2 and a banquette for the other
2. *The annoyance was the banquette was much lower than the chairs and I
felt like a little kid sitting there. *I have no idea what Carnival was
thinking.

Dean in Peoria

Hi, Dean, thanks for reading! We didn't have a loud music issue, but
is is funny you mentioned that banquette height disparity. I forgot
about it, but we experienced that the first time we were on the
Conquest. This time, we didn't (and we were at two different tables).
So I wonder if they raised the banquettes to correct the issue?

I hope you have a cruise planned soon. I imagine you are really
wishing to escape winter weather!

Take care,

Diana
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dean Worrell[_2_]

D Ball wrote:

I hope you have a cruise planned soon. I imagine you are really
wishing to escape winter weather!

Take care,

Diana

Unfortunately no cruise booked or even planned. But we will be in
Hawaii in Feb, yippee!

Dean in Peoria ---- Tired of sub-freezing temps.
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:38:33 -0600, Dean Worrell
wrote:

D Ball wrote:

I hope you have a cruise planned soon. I imagine you are really
wishing to escape winter weather!

Take care,

Diana

Unfortunately no cruise booked or even planned. But we will be in
Hawaii in Feb, yippee!

I'm jealous.

By the way, if you'll be in Honolulu, cruises used to leave from the
piers by the Aloha Tower (some still do, but I think most of the
larger ships now use a different terminal). When I was there last
January, the little shops there had some good deals on locally made
aloha wear (also some big ripoffs).

Old January 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Diana

Great review finally got some time to read it. and thoroughly Enjoyed
it
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Jan 21, 9:33*am, Susette wrote:
Diana

Great review finally got some time to read it. and thoroughly Enjoyed
it

Hi, Susette, thanks for reading, and thanks for "hanging out" on RTC
for a bit! I know you get busy, but it sure is FUNner when you post! I
am still laughing over you guys going Dutch....

Diana
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Jan 22, 8:58�am, D Ball wrote:
On Jan 21, 9:33�am, Susette wrote:

Diana

Great review finally got some time to read it. and thoroughly Enjoyed
it

Hi, Susette, thanks for reading, and thanks for "hanging out" on RTC
for a bit! I know you get busy, but it sure is FUNner when you post! I
am still laughing over you guys going Dutch....

Diana

AH thanks DIana!
I loved your review because it was seen through your eyes and did not
sugar coat it. There was good there was not as good parts but on the
whole YOU were on a cruise and were having a GOOD time no matter what.
Yea we going Dutch and its also DUTCH treat meaning Everyone has to
pay their own Dang way! hahahahaha

and the bad A$$ girls of the board Jean and Erm are also going
hahahaha

Susette
Cruise Outlets and Travel
www.cruiseoutlets.com