A First Look At Celebrity Solstice

Old September 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Default A First Look At Celebrity Solstice

A Dutch friend of mine on the Liners List recently visited the
Papenberg yard where the Celebrity Solstice is being finished. He has
posted numerous photographs of the exterior of the ship on his
website, and I thought you might like to take a look (with his
permission to post this message here). The address for his photo
albums is http://www.vdleek.nl This particular photo album is listed
at the bottom of the list on the far right hand side of the album
selection area, although the other photo albums are very well done
too.

The general consensus on the Liners List is that the Solstice is
tremendously ugly. No one likes the "snub-nosed" bow or the weird
funnel configuration with two little funnels (apparently low in height
to accommodate some bridges under which she will pass). I agree,
although it will be interesting to see what her interiors amount to.

Bestest,

Peg

Old September 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Peg Caldwell-Ott wrote:
[...]

Hi Peg, thanks for posting these pictures and I have to agree that the
ship is ugly on the outside. Kevin and I both think it looks like an
apartment building.lol

sue
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Peg Caldwell-Ott wrote:
The address for his photo albums is http://www.vdleek.nl This particular photo album is listed at the bottom of the list on the far right hand side of the album
selection area, although the other photo albums are very well done
too.

The general consensus on the Liners List is that the Solstice is
tremendously ugly. No one likes the "snub-nosed" bow or the weird
funnel configuration with two little funnels (apparently low in height
to accommodate some bridges under which she will pass). I agree,
although it will be interesting to see what her interiors amount to.

Bestest,

Peg

Thanks for the photos, Peg, and please express my thanks to your friend
who shared his photos with us.

The negative comments about the Solstice reminds me of the comments that
were made about The Grand Princess when she was being built. I thought
it was the ugliest ship I had ever seen. It looked like a giant
shopping cart. The Grand Princess turned out to be one of my favorite
classes of ships. I hope the Solstice will be the same way.

Becca
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Becca
wrote:

The negative comments about the Solstice reminds me of the comments that
were made about The Grand Princess when she was being built. I thought
it was the ugliest ship I had ever seen. It looked like a giant
shopping cart. The Grand Princess turned out to be one of my favorite
classes of ships. I hope the Solstice will be the same way.

The Grand Princess is still the ugliest class of ship. Luckily you
don't see that when you are onboard. Solstice does looks different from
the pictures than the usual. Both the bow and stern are interesting
designs. I will reserve judgement as to whether Solstice is ugly until
I see it in person.

--
Charles
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
C. Nicholson

"Peg Caldwell-Ott" wrote in message
A Dutch friend of mine on the Liners List recently visited the
Papenberg yard where the Celebrity Solstice is being finished. He has
posted numerous photographs of the exterior of the ship on his
website, and I thought you might like to take a look (with his
permission to post this message here). The address for his photo
albums is http://www.vdleek.nl This particular photo album is listed
at the bottom of the list on the far right hand side of the album
selection area, although the other photo albums are very well done
too.

Thank you Peg! Please tell your friend I appreciate him sharing. Excellent
photos.
Cheryl

Old September 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_6_]

C. Nicholson wrote:
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" wrote in message
A Dutch friend of mine on the Liners List recently visited the
Papenberg yard where the Celebrity Solstice is being finished. He has
posted numerous photographs of the exterior of the ship on his
website, and I thought you might like to take a look (with his
permission to post this message here). The address for his photo
albums is http://www.vdleek.nl This particular photo album is listed
at the bottom of the list on the far right hand side of the album
selection area, although the other photo albums are very well done
too.

Thank you Peg! Please tell your friend I appreciate him sharing. Excellent
photos.
Cheryl

IMHO, that's one ugly ship. I sure hope it looks nicer when we're on it
in 2009.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus-
A liberal is someone who feels a great debt
to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to
pay off with your money.
-G. Gordon Liddy
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Nonnymus wrote:
C. Nicholson wrote:
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" wrote in message
A Dutch friend of mine on the Liners List recently visited the
Papenberg yard where the Celebrity Solstice is being finished. He has
posted numerous photographs of the exterior of the ship on his
website, and I thought you might like to take a look (with his
permission to post this message here). The address for his photo
albums is http://www.vdleek.nl This particular photo album is listed
at the bottom of the list on the far right hand side of the album
selection area, although the other photo albums are very well done
too.

Thank you Peg! Please tell your friend I appreciate him sharing.
Excellent photos.
Cheryl

IMHO, that's one ugly ship. I sure hope it looks nicer when we're on it
in 2009.

Nonny, glad we aren't the only ones who feel that way. From the pictures
I have seen, the inside is going to be very cool!!

sue
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Nonnymus wrote:
C. Nicholson wrote:
[...]

Actually many of my favorite ships are quite ugly. The Millie ships are
incredibly ugly. Connie, Infinity... New paint scheme... old paint
scheme... ugly. The QM2... also quite ugly. Too boxy. Funnel to short.
Top too wide. Ugly.

--Tom

Old September 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Nonny, glad we aren't the only ones who feel that way. From the pictures
I have seen, the inside is going to be very cool!!

I dunno, the from the pictures some of the inside appeared to be cold
rather than cool.

--
Charles