General Visa questions

Old January 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

Default General Visa questions

I'm sure this has been discussed but it's never applied to any of my trips
before so I've deleted the messages.

Do you need a Visa for precruise stays for Med sailings?

I know that most cruise lines take your passport when you sail the Med (at
least as far as I understand). I also know that some of the ports of call
require a Visa and the cruiseline gets it for you. Then you pick up your
passport before heading into port.

Does the cruiseline get any Visas needed for you or are you responsible for
some of them? Does the cruiseline pay for the Visas or is it an extra out of
pocket expense? If it's your expense, how do you pay? Onboard account or
cash?

Also, when flying into an embarkation port early or leaving a day after the
cruise, do you need a Visa? If so, do you have to get the Visa in advance,
at the airport before leaving home, or at the airport upon arrival in your
destination city?

Do you need one if you fly in on the day of the cruise?

I'm specifically interested in flying into and out of Barcelona or Rome. And
specific ports in Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Cyprus and Malta. But any
information on other ports or embarkation/debarkation cities will probably
help others.

Thanx!

LES!

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Harry Jones

The cruiselines always cover themselves by making a statement
like "due to the different requirements of different countries for
visas for passengers holding different passports, it is the
responsibility of the passenger to insure that all visa
formalities are properly accomplished."

The good news is that on a Med cruise it is unlikely that
a US passport holder will require a visa for any of the
usual ports of call. You can go to various sites and
check requirements. I use www.traveldocs.com
None of the countries you mention require a visa for
a US passport holder except Egypt, and you can get
that upon arrival if necessary, although the ship may
get a blanket visa.

If a visa is required, the cruiseline will usually tell
you if you must procure it beforehand (China, India)
or if they will get it for you on board (Kenya, Madagascar).
Sometimes they will charge you for it (and it can be pricey)
and sometimes they get a blanket visa for the whole ship.

Some countries you will need to get the visa before you get
on the airplane (Vietnam, Brazil). Other countries you can
get off the airplane and buy the visa before you go through
immigration formalities (Laos, Jordan). Sometimes you
may have to buy the visa when you get to the port city
before you can go ashore (Cambodia).

If you are going to some exotic ports, always check with
the cruiselines. If you do not have the required visas you
may not be able to get off the ship (Andaman Islands India)
or they may not even let you go on the cruise (China).

Always make sure your passport is good for six months after
the last day of your trip, that you have sufficient blank pages
for visas and stamps, and always carry a few extra passport
photos with you, as well as zerox copies of the photo page
of your passport and of any visas you have obtained.

For your Med cruise, there will be little or no problem.
For those doing a world cruise with stops in garden
spots like Yemen, India, Ivory Coast, Borneo, etc. it can be a
real challenge.

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Babie" :

I'm sure this has been discussed but it's never applied to any of my trips
before so I've deleted the messages.

Do you need a Visa for precruise stays for Med sailings?

I know that most cruise lines take your passport when you sail the Med (at
least as far as I understand). I also know that some of the ports of call
require a Visa and the cruiseline gets it for you. Then you pick up your
passport before heading into port.

In "the Med" you don't need a passport for any of the EU countries, or
Monaco. I don't think you need one for Turkey or Egypt, as you'll be
staying less that 24 hours. The Adriatic countries don't require one
for EU, US and Candian citizens.

Does the cruiseline get any Visas needed for you or are you responsible for
some of them? Does the cruiseline pay for the Visas or is it an extra out of
pocket expense? If it's your expense, how do you pay? Onboard account or
cash?

That depends on the cruiseline. For instance, most cruiselines will
arrange for Russian visas IF you are taking a cruiseline sponsored
excursion. The price of the visa is usually included in the excursion
pricing. If you are going to wing it, it can be a genuine hassle. But
check with the line in quesiton.

Going to Brazil, as has recently been discusse, the individual must
apply for his/her own passport.

Also, when flying into an embarkation port early or leaving a day after the
cruise, do you need a Visa? If so, do you have to get the Visa in advance,
at the airport before leaving home, or at the airport upon arrival in your
destination city?

See above. Russian visas require some rather intrusive paperwork and
can take up to six weeks. Chinese visas take 4 to 8 weeks. Or two.
Brazil seems to take about two weeks, plus mailing time. (To from the
US based embassy). On the other extreme, an Australian visa takes
about a minute and a half.

Do you need one if you fly in on the day of the cruise?

Depends.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

Men are like a carpet. Lay them well and you can
walk on them for years.