Best Western Hotel - Fake Drawers

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:22 PM
catch22

Default Best Western Hotel - Fake Drawers

I've just checked into a brand new Best Western Hotel. It's real nice
but there's one thing that is bugging me.

The chest of drawers underneath the TV set is of a standard design,
about 6ft long by 2ft high. It has two rows with two drawers in each
row.

The really odd thing is that the bottom row of drawers is fake.

There's nothing really wrong with them being fake. What's bugging me
is that I really can't think of a good reason why they shouldn't be
real. It's not going to save the hotel more than a couple of bucks
and extra storage space in a hotel room can really only be a good
thing.

Does anyone have any insight into what kind of corporate logic would
result in a purchasing executive making a decision to specify that
chest of drawers should be half fake?

Catch
Old October 12th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Bert Amada

Now you did it! L.B. Slueth will probably post that the "fake drawer" is
where all the drugs are hidden. He will no doubt state that he stayed in
that room, and the drawer make him sick.

B.A.

Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is
automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in
a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you when my
line is open to you.

Old October 13th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Zemedelec

Maybe the same one who thought up imitation pockets on women's clothes?
zemedelec
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Robin

Maybe not for drugs, but there is enough room to stash a dead body.

.........or even.....weapons of mass destruction??

................ Remove the sea bird if you want to reply.
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:00 PM

OK, another Best Western hotel in another city about a year later...

The hotel room has a closet that contains a vertical boxed off section.
Closer inspection suggests that it is not a conduit for pipes, nor
does it conceal a supporting timber or joist.

The closet was built of black/ebony veneered wood and is the full
height of the room (about 7ft). The boxed off section is about 18"
deep by about 10" wide, and runs from the top of the closet to the
plinth at the bottom of the closet.

It is clear that the plinth runs underneath the boxed off section which
is why I don't believe that it houses any plumbing etc. All the
plumbing is on the opposite side of the room anyway.

The only thing about this is that it makes the closet narrower. But
why?
Anyone got any ideas, or anyone observed this anywhere else?

Catch

Old August 30th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Victor

wrote in message
[...]

Technical Surveillance equipment. hotels have them built in certain rooms to
meet federal regulations. they are used for LE when they need to conduct
technical operations (ie drug deals, sting operations etc..) Not all the
rooms have this only a small subset of rooms and these rooms are typically
requested before an operation takes place. You will not find anything inside
most of the time, sometimes you might find an occasional wideband amplifier
inside if you are lucky. the TS equipment is brought and configured a day or
so before operations. I know this because I used to work for the DEA before
retiring from the force.