Mailing food to France

Old August 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Don A. Gilmore

Default Mailing food to France

Hello:

Forgive me if this is not the proper forum for this question.

I have a pen pal in France and I would like to send her some homemade summer
sausage. Would I be violating any customs laws? It is a dried and cured
sausage that does not spoil and does not need refrigeration. Is this
possible, or am I getting into trouble? If it is possible, what would be te
best method to ship it?

Thanks for all replies.

Don
Kansas City

Old August 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Mark Fagan

There are rules about sending agricultural products, and with the recent BSE
scare, beef (if it is beef) might be especially hard to ship. The fact that
it is unlabeled by a known manufacturer might make it even harder. You need
to consult with the French embassy or a consulate and ask for info. Or else
a customs broker might be able to tell you what was involved.

Old August 21st, 2004, 05:08 PM
hotels Splendid + Gounod Nice

bonjour
you should not have any difficulties, unless it is made from an
endangered species....and I doubt it is the case
the other way around would be much much more difficult
bon appétit

michel

--
Le Splendid: un hotel 4* de tradition aux conforts modernes:
tv par satellite,prises modem, salles de confèrences, etc

Restaurant "Chez Hugo": http://www.restaurant-hugo-nice.com

Le Gounod est un 3* de charme, avec parking, climatisation, etc
The Gounod is a charming 3* hotel with parking, air conditioning, etc
http://www.gounod-nice.com

En plein centre ville et à 400 mètres de la plage
Au Splendid: bar "le Transat" piscine panoramique et jacuzzi chauffé
Jacuzzi et fitness, salles de confèrences avec ADSL + WiFi
In city center, 400 meters from the beach
In the Splendid: "le Transat" bar panoramic swimming pool, heated
jacuzzi , sauna & fitness facilities, conference rooms with DSL + WiFi
connectivity

Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
David Gee

"Don" asked the right question, but Michel's half-witted post below --
"Mailing food to France" -- is every bit as dumb as mailing food to
anywhere else without doing research.

True -- you shouldn't try to send bits & bites of endangered species
across any borders, but that's NOT why national governments discourage
the practice of mailing foods.

What they worry about most is the mailing of "regional specialties" such
as salamis (and other sausages), hams, cheeses, cured fish, baked goods
(especially containing meats, cheeses and creams) and anything
"home-made" like jams, pickles and other preserved foods.

After all, they're called "regional specialties" because they have
historically been made AND consumed within a small geographic area on a
seasonal basis; the finished products and their ingredients were never
meant to be stored for long periods or transported thousands of
kilometres away from "home". (And their packaging was never designed to
survive the rough-and-tumble of modern mechanical handling!)

They can - and often do - contain bacteria, irritating chemicals, or
even insect larvae as a result of poor factory hygiene, improper
handling or storage in warehouses or cellars with less than ideal access
and temperature controls.

If you want "treats from home", find a local deli or specialty importer
that stocks them, knows them, and trusts them.

"hotels Splendid + Gounod Nice" wrote in
message ...