March Trip!!!

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Peter Konnecke

You could try Flag Choice Hotels .... in the USA they are known as
Choice Hotels and include the Quality Inn, Clarion, and Comfort brands.
Thier website is http://www.choicehotels.com.au

Old November 30th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Peter Konnecke

Old December 13th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Ron

I was in NZ for much of last March. After arriving in Auckland and picking
up a rental car, I headed pretty much directly down to the South Island,
toured around there for about two weeks, then came back to the North Island
for the final week and a half or so. I looped around most of the South
Island, not quite down to Invercargill but pretty close, and over to Te Anau
and Milford Sound. The weather was very comfortable...very nice. Not too
hot, not too cold. I didn't need anything heavier than a light jacket, and
often shirt sleeves were fine.

As for accommodation, as someone suggested, pick up the NZAA accommodation
guides. Lots of selection. (And there is another guide series too. I forget
the name but they are readily available at motels, tourist info places etc.)
I usually called ahead, usually just by a day or so, sometimes even the same
day, although it wouldn't always have been necessary. (One place that it
seemed to be almost essential was at the glaciers..i.e. Fox Glacier, Franz
Josef, but I found it didn't hurt to check elsewhere too, particularly on
weekends. And you never know what might be happening in a particular town or
city that might cause places to be booked up.)

Ron

(to respond directly, please delete the prot)

"katnipper" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia and NZ in Mar/Apr:
Start in Sydney-drive the coast to Kangaroo Isld and fly to Cairns.
Then drive the North and South Islands of NZ. About 5wks.
Do we need to make hotel reservations ahead of time? Is there
reasonable priced chain of motels to look for? All we need is a
private clean,room & bath, coffee pot and TV. How about Mom & Pop type
motels?
How cold will it be on the south NZ in early April? How long are
daylight hours?