Disney Museum

Old December 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Disney Museum

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/fami...ion_hours.html

I just read about the new Disney Museum in San Francisco. I then clicked on
Admission, and read this:
Museum General Admission

Admission for all is by timed-entry ticket. Timed-entry tickets reserve a
specific date and time for your visit, which helps avoid overcrowding in the
galleries. Ticket holders have a 15 minute window for entry (10-10:14;
10:15-10:29, etc.). Timed-entry tickets are generally available up to 60
days in advance. Tickets may not be available at the door.

So if you're from ... New York and plan to visit, and only have one morning
free ( so you need to make sure it's an AM admission), you should :

buy a ticket in advance (maybe 60 days in advance) and make sure to be there
within a 15 minute window ?? Doesn't that seem crazy ? Problems finding a
parking spot might "void your entry " ?

Old December 17th, 2009, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Dec 16, 2:08*pm, "- Bobb -" wrote:
[...]

Just like going to a concert. If you don't get there on time they may
not let you in.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

In article ,
"- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

One of the really nice things about the Presidio is the ample supply of
parking.

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

- Bobb - wrote:

snip

buy a ticket in advance (maybe 60 days in advance) and make sure to be there
within a 15 minute window ?? Doesn't that seem crazy ?

No. Museums do this sort of timed entry thing all the time.

Problems finding a
parking spot might "void your entry " ?

A lot of different things can delay you. You need to make plans that
take into account the potential delays.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:

snip

buy a ticket in advance (maybe 60 days in advance) and make sure to be
there within a 15 minute window ?? Doesn't that seem crazy ?

No. Museums do this sort of timed entry thing all the time.

I'm not a big museum person, but, can't you usually buy a ticket from a
human also?
This states - " may be unattended " so no option to buy that day.

Problems finding a parking spot might "void your entry " ?

A lot of different things can delay you. You need to make plans that take
into account the potential delays.

If I am in town and can plan fine, but if 45 days from now someone is
visiting from Butte,Montana , how could he know what delays he might run
into ?

Rhetoric questions . I just thought it was too restrictive and had never
heard of it - except at Disneyworld - where you GET a ticket that day - not
months in advance.

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

- Bobb - wrote:

Rhetoric questions . I just thought it was too restrictive and had never
heard of it - except at Disneyworld - where you GET a ticket that day - not
months in advance.

Sometimes an attraction is sufficiently popular that you simply cannot
serve everyone who wants to see it, especially at peak periods. I
applaud the entry restrictions . . . the last thing I want to do is
travel a long way to see something that's important to me and end up
crammed elbow-to-elbow with a few thousand of my newest friends. If you
doubt that that can ruin the experience, visit the Vatican and
especially the Sistine Chapel during the tourist season.

Given that you want to restrict entry, there really are only two basic
choices. You can do it first-come-first-served, or you can sell timed
tickets in advance. "Advance" for the timed tickets can be months or
minutes depending on how popular the attraction is and the demand at the
time. In my experience, well managed attractions use the
timed-admission method because it reduces the time spent waiting in
line, which is an advantage both for the customer and the management.
Old December 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:

snip

[...]

chuckle - that brings to mind my first attempt to visit Alcatraz. Was at
the ferry boat ticket office first thing in the morning, just before it
opened. Was told that the first available space was 4:30 that afternoon.
Decided not to go that day.

Several months later, booked space two months in advance. Finally made it
to Alcatraz. That, by the way, was a trip well worth while.