?How about 30 days in South Africa starting next month?

Old January 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
GoldenMan54

Default ?How about 30 days in South Africa starting next month?

Better idea would be to ditch your wife and wonder about the bad lands
of Africa by yourself. I have traveled all over Asia amd Sout America
and never taken my wife. Talks too much and her idea of entertainment
leaves my nerves scrfeaming.

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Any opinions on:

31 day Thrifty auto rental

Hyundai Getz manual, AC, Unlimited Mileage

ZAR 4,646 with no insurance as I will cover it with my AMEX Gold Card

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Apartments:

Westpoint on Grayton in Sandton for ZAR 4,500 for 7 nights

Waterfall Cottages on Craighall in Sandton for ZAR 3,094 for 7 nights

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Dave Patterson

Great price on the car.
Works out to $21 a day.
AMEX should send you the note that guarantees you
are covered. Otherwise, Thrifty has the option - if they
choose to use it - of requiring you to add the coverage
when you take the car.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Corne, are you suggesting that this person should attempt to bribe a
police officer if they get caught speeding?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:17:20 +0200, "Corné" wrote:
SNIP
Enjoy this beautiful country and remind not to speed, as traffic cops are
every where. If you are fined ask for an offical ticket and tell them that
you will pay at the Magistrate Court. Most probably you can get away with it
with R50....

SNIP

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie

Craighall Park and Grayston Drive are both in good areas. The Grayston Drive
address is closer to the Nelson Mandela Square, and therefore closer to
restaurants, shopping etc. however, if you have a hired car, either address
will suit you. Craighall Park is likely to be quieter and probaly a bit
older and quainter (although nothing is really old - Johannesburg was only
founded in 1886). Craighall is one of the older suburbs, and is
traditionally an up-market, old-money area.

Marc

ups.com...

Old February 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné

"Marc Lurie" schreef in bericht
Corne, are you suggesting that this person should attempt to bribe a
police officer if they get caught speeding?

Marc, consider this: My parents and several guests were fined R700 for
speeding up to 9 km too fast. Normal ticket for this is R200 officially. In
that case it can be useful to know what's going on.

Worked for me a couple a weeks ago, but in that case the police officers
themselves told me if I paid R50 cash (...) I didn't have to go to the
Magistrate court.... Now Marc, what do you suggest to do if a polic officer
tells you this?

I am not telling that this person should attemt to bribe a police officer,
just sharing my experiences.

Keep well.

Regards from the sunny bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old February 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

On Feb 4, 4:02 am, "Corné" wrote:
"Marc Lurie" schreef in berichtnews:dh56s2h5lfurpmbn6ufedsjbe6d2eud5kk@4ax .com...

Corne, are you suggesting that this person should attempt to bribe a
police officer if they get caught speeding?

Marc, consider this: My parents and several guests were fined R700 for
speeding up to 9 km too fast. Normal ticket for this is R200 officially. In
that case it can be useful to know what's going on.

Worked for me a couple a weeks ago, but in that case the police officers
themselves told me if I paid R50 cash (...) I didn't have to go to the
Magistrate court.... Now Marc, what do you suggest to do if a polic officer
tells you this?

I am not telling that this person should attemt to bribe a police officer,
just sharing my experiences.

Keep well.

Regards from the sunny bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Thanks for the advice. I have unpaid (slightly speeding) tickets from
New Zealand, Mexico and a counrty in eastern europe.

Doug Clark

Old February 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 11:02:59 +0200, "Corné" wrote:

"Marc Lurie" schreef in bericht
.. .
Corne, are you suggesting that this person should attempt to bribe a
police officer if they get caught speeding?

Marc, consider this: My parents and several guests were fined R700 for
speeding up to 9 km too fast. Normal ticket for this is R200 officially. In
that case it can be useful to know what's going on.

Yes, it's always a good idea to know something about the law. I'm
concerned about what you've just said however. Were they given an
official fine for R700, or did the cop simply tel them that the fine
was R700?

Worked for me a couple a weeks ago, but in that case the police officers
themselves told me if I paid R50 cash (...) I didn't have to go to the
Magistrate court.... Now Marc, what do you suggest to do if a polic officer
tells you this?

I SUGGEST that you tell the officer to rephrase his comment, and make
absolutely dure that what he said couldn't possibly be construed as
asking for a bribe. I SUGGEST that if the officer again asks for a
bribe that you refuse, and take his name and details and report him. I
SUGGEST that you don't offer him a bribe.

I SUGGEST that your public disclosure that you paid a bribe to a
traffic officer is nothing short of repugnant.

I SUGGEST that publicly admitting that you committed a criminal
offence (and showing a disgusting smugness about it to boot) is
EXACTLY what this country doesn't need

YOU broke the law by speeding. YOU should pay the penalty, and not
contribute to criminal lawlessness by paying bribes. The next time you
moan about police ineffectiveness, high crime levels, etc. remember
that YOU have nothing to complain about because YOU are part of it.

I SUGGEST that you should hang your head in shame.

Old February 7th, 2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

wrote in message

ups.com...

Any opinions on:

31 day Thrifty auto rental

Hyundai Getz manual, AC, Unlimited Mileage

ZAR 4,646 with no insurance as I will cover it with my AMEX Gold Card

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////*///////////

Apartments:

Westpoint on Grayton in Sandton for ZAR 4,500 for 7 nights

Waterfall Cottages on Craighall in Sandton for ZAR 3,094 for 7 nights- Hide quoted text -

We ended up at a place called:

Blue point home stay - Kilcullen Estate Apartments

It is on the south edge of Sandton and the cost for 2bed 2 Bath is
R3,950 plus R299 "lease" fee for a week stay.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Our trip is at: beulavillenc-travel.blogspot.com

Doug Clark

Old February 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
pecan

Marc Lurie wrote:
snip
[...]

I have to agree with Marc.
I don't believe paying bribes is in any way helpful to the welfare of
our country.

Catherine
--
== Not nuts, just a little eccentric ==