Cashing Travellers checks in USA

Old September 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Qanset

Default Cashing Travellers checks in USA

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

Qanset wrote on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:04:55 +1000:

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

What is a Travellers cheque? Come to think of it, I seem to remember
them from decades ago.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

James Silverton wrote:
Qanset wrote on Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:04:55 +1000:

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

What is a Travellers cheque? Come to think of it, I seem to remember
them from decades ago.

many bank do cash them most other places never see them
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

I don't think stores ever charged me a fee when I used cheques to pay
for purchases years ago; they treated them like cash. I never tried
just cashing them in a bank so I don't know if they charge a fee.

But they are rarely used anymore due to the popularity of credit
cards. Last time I used traveler's cheques (maybe 10 years ago) I
found that many clerks had never seen them before.

James

Old September 27th, 2009, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:29:43 -0700 (PDT), JamesStep
wrote:

Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

I don't think stores ever charged me a fee when I used cheques to pay
for purchases years ago; they treated them like cash. I never tried
just cashing them in a bank so I don't know if they charge a fee.

But they are rarely used anymore due to the popularity of credit
cards.

....and ATM cards. I haven't used a travelers check in over 20 years.

I used to use travelers checks when I traveled from home (the USA) to
Europe, but switched to ATM cards when it became apparent that I would
get a better exchange rate from the ATM card.

Last time I used traveler's cheques (maybe 10 years ago) I
found that many clerks had never seen them before.

And using a US travelers check in stores, hotels, etc. in Europe got
me even a poorer exchange rate that I got in a bank.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Qanset wrote:
Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

I read about traveler's checks in a history book. I had no idea they
were still available.

Back in the days of traveler's checks there was no fee for cashing them.
One advantage of them for international use was that you got a better
exchange rate for traveler's checks than for cash.

Now everyone uses credit cards for traveling, and they get cash in local
currency from an ATM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 27, 12:04*am, Qanset wrote:
Do banks, Hotels, Restaurants etc, charge a fee for cashing US
Travellers cheques.???

In 2008, I was able to use a US$100 traveler's checque from American
Express at one of the food court restaurants in the Seattle-Tacoma
airport. They did not charge me a fee.
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 27, 5:49*pm, SMS wrote:
In 1993 I was in Moscow and no stores or restaurants would take
traveler's checks. Those people that brought them had to go to a bank to
cash them. I had brought some, but had also brought enough cash and I
spent very little while there because it was an organized bicycle trip
with all meals and accommodations provided. They would only take cash
that was in very good condition with no tears in the bills.

I assume you mean Moscow, Idaho since the orginal poster explicitly
asked about "Cashing Travellers checks in USA". I have had no
problems using traveller's checques in Boise or Sun Valley. I would
expect a lot of problems trying to get merchants to accept dollar-
denominated TCs in places where the local currency was something
different (like pounds, euros, rubles, yuan, yen, etc.).
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:23:11 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 27, 5:49*pm, SMS wrote:
In 1993 I was in Moscow and no stores or restaurants would take
traveler's checks. Those people that brought them had to go to a bank to
cash them. I had brought some, but had also brought enough cash and I
spent very little while there because it was an organized bicycle trip
with all meals and accommodations provided. They would only take cash
that was in very good condition with no tears in the bills.

I assume you mean Moscow, Idaho since the orginal poster explicitly
asked about "Cashing Travellers checks in USA".

Please note that he did not specify US dollar traveler's cheques.

I have had no
problems using traveller's checques in Boise or Sun Valley. I would
expect a lot of problems trying to get merchants to accept dollar-
denominated TCs in places where the local currency was something
different (like pounds, euros, rubles, yuan, yen, etc.).

Or vice-versa.