Parking access for NYC subway

Old February 29th, 2004, 09:45 PM
gjmax

Default Parking access for NYC subway

Any suggestions on where I can safely park the car and get access to
the NYC subway. We are driving thru the area and would like to spend
1-2 days in NYC without having to the fight the traffic. We have
visited Boston using the same approach but I'm not as familiar with
NYC. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old February 29th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Miguel Cruz

gjmax wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can safely park the car and get access to
the NYC subway. We are driving thru the area and would like to spend
1-2 days in NYC without having to the fight the traffic. We have
visited Boston using the same approach but I'm not as familiar with
NYC. Thanks for any suggestions.

Probably easier to park in New Jersey near a PATH or NJTransit station, but
really it depends on your route. Where are you coming from/going?

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

Old February 29th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Englishmum

Originally posted by Gjmax
Any suggestions on where I

can safely park the car and get access to
the NYC subway. We are

driving thru the area and would like to spend
1-2 days in NYC without

having to the fight the traffic. We have
visited Boston using the

same approach but I'm not as familiar with
NYC. Thanks for any

suggestions.

I often park in the private car park/parking lot
adjacent to Hoboken PATH (subway) station/New Jersey Transit train
station in New Jersey, just across the river from Manhatten. The PATH -
Port Authority Trans Hudson - subway trains go to a number of stops in
Manhatten eg. World Trade Center, Christopher St, 9th St, 14th , 23rd
and 33rd St (opposite Macy's and near the Empire State Building). There
are many connections here for other subway routes.

Also right next to
the PATH station is the New York Waterways Ferry service with ferries to
midtown Manhatten, the World Financial Center (part of the old WTC) and
Wall St/South St Seaport. A beautiful way to see NYC!

The parking lot
in Hoboken is open 24hrs with valet parking and the lot is protected by
high rails. It will be much cheaper than parking in Manhatten. The
parking lot is at the corner of Observer Highway and Hudson Street in
Hoboken and the PATH/NJ Transit train station is just a couple of
hundred feet away. I can't remember the name of the owners of the
parking company (NCP?) but it's very close to Barnes & Noble in
Washington Street, Hoboken...you can look it up on Mapquest with
directions how to get there...the parking lot faces the railway tracks.

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:05 AM
Larry Finch

gjmax wrote:

Any suggestions on where I can safely park the car and get access to
the NYC subway. We are driving thru the area and would like to spend
1-2 days in NYC without having to the fight the traffic. We have
visited Boston using the same approach but I'm not as familiar with
NYC. Thanks for any suggestions.

Park in Weehawken, NJ at the NY Waterway terminal ($7 a day) and take
the 5 minute ferry trip to Manhattan. It's a great ride in itself. Once
in Manhattan there are free shuttle buses to most of Manhattan South of
Central Park. Ferries run to 38th Street, World Financial Center, and
Wall Street. The 38th street route runs every 15 minutes (10 during rush
hour).

It's easy to get to; just take the route to the Lincoln Tunnel and take
the last exit before the toll (Pleasant Avenue), then follow the signs
to the ferry.

See www.nywaterway.com

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:10 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
gjmax wrote:
Any suggestions on where I can safely park the car and get access to
the NYC subway.

Depends on which direction you're coming from. I once lived for a couple
of years in Schenectady NY and often drove down to the NYC area for day
trips, using various routes forom the north.

To get to an actual NY subway line, you have to drive through a lot of
suburban traffic. Once, I parked on the street near the end of the #4
line at the north edge of the Bronx, which wasn't too bad. Coming down
the Thruway (I-87) from the north, get off at the first exit south of the
city limits, which is probably labeled Jerome Avenue and/or E. 233rd St.
Head south on Jerome, with a cemetery on one side and a golf course
on the other. In a bit you'll see the end of the subway line, which is
elevated at that point. As I recall, I parked on Jerome a short distance
north of the station.

Coming from the north, and east of the Hudson, another possiblity is to
park at Tarrytown on the Metro-North Hudson line, which has trains at
least every hour. Get off I-87 at the first exit east of the Tappan Zee
Bridge, and head towards the river. The station is at the riverside, just
north of the bridge. Figure 45 minutes to an hour to Grand Central from
here.

Also on the Hudson Line, but further north, there's Beacon which is just
off I-84 at the east end of the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. This will take
about an hour and a half to Grand Central, but it's a very scenic ride,
along the river's edge through the mountains past West Point (on the other
side).

Coming from the west, you'll probably want to park in New Jersey and take
either a NJT commuter train or PATH to Manhattan. I've done NJT from
Suffern (just south of I-87 and the NJ/NY state line), and I've done PATH
from Journal Square in Jersey City (big parking garage above the PATH
station) and from Hoboken (parking garage near the Hoboken station).
Nowadays there are also the ferries from Hoboken and Weehawken, which
someone else mentioned.

We are driving thru the area and would like to spend
1-2 days in NYC

Not sure about the feasability of overnight parking at the above
locations, though.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College