Traveling Overseas Without Shots?

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:29:32 +0000, Pat Anderson
wrote:

Another important point: I`m told by a doctor friend, who herself
practised in Lagos for thirty years, that if Lariam is taken as a
prophylactic, and malaria is confirmed, Lariam of course can not be used
to treat the malaria. Fansidar can be used and when my husband
contracted malaria in Kenya, he was given Quinine when the doctor wasn`t
satisfied with how his recovery was going. There has also been great
success in the treatment of malaria, with the use of the Chinese drug,
Artemisinin.

Pat, all,

yes, there is an important point here. The general advice is, if
you get a fever and treat yourself for malaria (which you should
anyway, and which a doctor would also do in most cases), you
should still be on your way to a doctor or a clinic quickly.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old December 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Daniel

Coming into the conversation a little late, but here is a slight different
angle:

If you decide not to take appropriate prophylaxis, and you get ill and have
to be medivacced out, there is at least a theoretical chance that your
travel insurance may not come to the party and reimburse your expenses.
Could be an expensive affair.

"Former Member" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning to travel to Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar Island this
xmas break on an educational tour. Myself and some of the people in
the group aren't comfortable getting shots/vaccinations and would feel
more comfortable taking the natural route. I myself am a vegetarian
and consume mostly organic foods. So the idea of taking drugs doesn't
sit too well with me.

Has anyone traveled to Africa without taking shots? Are you familiar
with any natural antibiotics and preventative medicines? The group
leader recommended Quinine to protect against malaria. Also, I've been
doing some reading on colloidal silver, a natural antibiotic (I
actually used it once and it works great but I didn't know that it was
good as a protectant against malaria). Has anyone heard of or
experienced any other natural medicine?

I hear that yellow fever immunizations may be required when traveling
to Kenya. Is this true?

Old December 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 04:14:45 +1300, "Daniel"
wrote:

Coming into the conversation a little late, but here is a slight different
angle:

If you decide not to take appropriate prophylaxis, and you get ill and have
to be medivacced out, there is at least a theoretical chance that your
travel insurance may not come to the party and reimburse your expenses.
Could be an expensive affair.

Daniel,

dying may be cheaper. (:-)

Seriously, if you come down with malaria, then you've seriously
risked your life. Insurance should be a secondary consideration,
compared to death.

The least everybody should do is carry a cure dose, but for a
short vacation everybody should take the prophylaxis.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.