Healthrisks travelling in Australia?

Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
ozexplorer

Default Healthrisks travelling in Australia?

Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.
cheers,
marc
Old January 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"ozexplorer" wrote in message
Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.
cheers,
marc

Watch out for the drop bears!

Gerrit

Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
Frank Slootweg

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"ozexplorer" wrote in message
Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.
cheers,
marc

Watch out for the drop bears!

And for people worried about healthrisks. They'll probably bore you to
death.

But seriously: Since you (the OP) did not give any clue *where* in
Australia you are going, I can only advise to get the Lonely Planet's
guide on Australia and read its relevant sections. The guide is very
handy anyway, so why not use it for this part of your preparation as
well?

For me *personally*, the biggest healthrisk in Australia is German
tourists in their Blitz campervans! Oops! Sorry about that! :-) [1]

[1] One of my worst experiences was with a German tourist and my
absolute best experience was also with a German couple, so I guess that
on average, you lot are quite OK! :-) [2]

[2] Says someone who goes on holiday in Germany about once a year, so

Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Mike McBain

ozexplorer writes:

Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.

Murray Valley encephalitis, Ross River Virus, Q fever.
Taipan, tiger snake, sea snake, king brown snake, red-bellied black snake.
Funnel-web spider, wolf spider, trapdoor spider, red-back spider.
Sal****er crocodile, great white pointer shark.
Various types of 'stinger jellyfish', irukandji.
Giant Queensland stinging tree.

There's more, but those are the main ones.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Peter

In article 41d7f35b$0$17982$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, Gerrit 't Hart says...

"ozexplorer" wrote in message
Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.
cheers,
marc

Watch out for the drop bears!

Drop bears are not commonly found in metropolitan areas. You are better
advised to be wary of imbibing too much beer. Wildlife attack isn't a
major problem, but you should consult a guidebook for specific and
regional warnings.

Get whatever shots (if any) are recommended by your doctor for travel.
Australia is pretty healthy, but you should be aware of things like Ross
River virus if you are going to be spend much time in the company of
mosquitos. Make sure you have adequate sunburn protection - I wouldn't
go outside for more than a few minutes in Queensland during summer
months without some sort of lotion applied to exposed skin.

Swimming in locations such as tropical water holes is an invitation to
crocodile attack - they snap up a tourist every year or two. Tourists
drown when they get into difficulties on unpatrolled surf beaches -
always best to swim between the flags at places like the Gold Coast.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Peter

In article , Mike
McBain says...
ozexplorer writes:

Are there any special health risks in Australia I have to prepare myself
for? I will just travel a few weeks there. Any recommendation is greatly
appreciated.

Murray Valley encephalitis, Ross River Virus, Q fever.
Taipan, tiger snake, sea snake, king brown snake, red-bellied black snake.
Funnel-web spider, wolf spider, trapdoor spider, red-back spider.
Sal****er crocodile, great white pointer shark.
Various types of 'stinger jellyfish', irukandji.
Giant Queensland stinging tree.

There's more, but those are the main ones.

We lose about five people a year (out of twenty million) from all of the
above combined. Make sure you look both ways before stepping off the
kerb.