Which Travel Pass to Get?

Old June 8th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Kathy Garner

Default Which Travel Pass to Get?

Hi,

An elderly expat Australian fellow will be "going home" next September
after 30 years. His itinerary is as follows:

Sydney to Melbourne
Melbourne to Packenham
Pakenham to Frankston
Frankston to Geelong
Geelong to Colac
Colac to Camperdown
Camperdown to Melbourne
Melbourne to Kyabram
Kyabram to Echuca
Echuca to Hay
Hay to Sydney

Would anyone know the least expensive travel pass for him? He'll be in
Australia from Sept 3 - 29th. He's very
keen on getting to all these places.

Thank You,
Kathy

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Daniel Bowen

"Kathy Garner" wrote in message
An elderly expat Australian fellow will be "going home" next September
after 30 years. His itinerary is as follows:

Most of this is within Victoria (and the 2nd and 3rd trips are within
metropolitan Melbourne), and I doubt there is one travel pass that would
cover them all.

With the long distance legs (eg Sydney to Melbourne) is he wanting to fly,
or go by train or bus?

For the short distance ones, I suspect it'll be train and/or bus. Somebody
will need to sort out a detailed itinerary for him. Off the top of my
head...

Sydney to Melbourne

Air, train or bus

Melbourne to Packenham

Metropolitan train

Pakenham to Frankston

Metropolitan bus (or train if the long way via Caulfield)

Frankston to Geelong

Bus and ferry, or metro train and V/Line train

Geelong to Colac

V/Line train

Colac to Camperdown

V/Line train

Camperdown to Melbourne

V/Line train

Melbourne to Kyabram

V/Line train/bus

Kyabram to Echuca

V/Line bus

Echuca to Hay

V/Line bus, Countrylink (NSW) train/bus (This one takes all day... hopefully
there's a quicker way of doing it.)

Hay to Sydney

Countrylink (NSW) bus/train

Would anyone know the least expensive travel pass for him? He'll be in
Australia from Sept 3 - 29th. He's very
keen on getting to all these places.

For Victorian services
http://www.victrip.com.au/

For Countrylink NSW
http://www.countrylink.info/

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM
AlmostBob

the express trains run dandenong-caulfield caulfield-cheltenham even on
weekends now, so the long way is shorter time wise than the bus route along
Frankston-Dandenong road. 'ticketings not an issue within Melbourne since the
same ticket will work on all the routes, and Vline trains to KY and etc are
often buses too,, seems like he's visiting all the recruiting towns for RVR,
give my best to those still alive.

--

. ..

Old June 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Daniel Bowen

"AlmostBob" wrote in message
the express trains run dandenong-caulfield caulfield-cheltenham even on
weekends now

Ummm.. Dunno where you got that idea. No they don't. Peak-hour only (and
none run express all the way from Dandenong to Caulfield). All of them on
weekends stop all stations on those stretches, but you're right in that the
buses are very few and far between on weekends (and probably none suiting
the Pakenham-Frankston trip on Sundays).

Daniel