Help with my New Zealand Itinery

Old January 13th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Calico

Default Help with my New Zealand Itinery

Hi All,

I will be visiting New Zealand this March and was after some advise on
my travel plans.
I will be flying into Christchurch then plan to spend 2 days getting
over my jet-lag and exploring the city before picking up my hire car.
I don't know whether to go to Kiakoura for the next 2 days or have one
day in Kaikora and one in Akaroa. If I have to drive from Kaikoura to
Mount Cook in one day it will be a bit long(515km). But if I split my
time and stay in Akaroa which is nearer Christchurch I fear I will be
rushibg and not seeing much.

Day 1 - Christchurch
Day 2 - Christchurch
Day 3 - Kaikoura ?
Day 4 - Kaikoura or Akaroa ?
Day 5 - Mount Cook
the rest of my itinery is sorted!

Any advise would be most welcome
Cheers
Tim
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Egmontgirl

Hi Cal- NZ is dreamy. Be prepared that if you leave on a Monday you
actually arrive 2 days later.

Example:
Qantas #26/4103 leaves daily LAX at 8:30pm and arrives Christchurch at
8am two days later.

It's only 11 or so hours but with the time difference it turns out this
way. (It's the best way not to have a birthday though!!!!) The best
thing is that on the way back you actually arrive before you leave.

Example:
Qantas #4136/25 leaves daily Christchurch 4:30pm and arrives 10:30am
the same day.

Air New Zealand has a non stop to Christchurch, but Qantas has
individual entertainment screens in every seat. So you choose- watch
the movies/shows you want to watch or arrive a bit faster.
Hope this has been helpful.

Eg

Old January 14th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Scotty

Two days in Christchurch is plenty, if you want to go exploring Id
definately recommend a drive to Hanmer Springs, around a 2 hour gentle drive
from Christchurch. Take ya swimmers theres beautiful pools there in natural
springs. Fantastic for Jetlag recovery!

Theres not enough in Kiakora to do for two whole days unless you have enough
money to take up all the tourist attractions like 4x4 bikes and paraponting
etc.

Have fun NZ is a beautiful place to visit.

Hope that helps, Scotty

om...

Old January 14th, 2005, 04:07 AM

On 13 Jan 2005 12:17:14 -0800, (Calico) wrote:

[...]

If you haven't already done so, check out

www.aaguide.co.nz

www.purenz.com

Where are you flying in from i.e. US mainland, Hawaii, Australia, Hong
Kong etc....

Do you have any definite attraction you want to do/see in Kaikoura?

Please remember what may seem like a short distance i.e.
Christchurch/Kaikoura return, can be much slower than you imagined due
to narrow, hilly, one way each way roads.

Keep Akaroa but you may want to consider Hanmer Springs as an
alternative to Kaikoura.
http://www.hanmer.com/
http://www.nzhotsprings.com/hanmer-s...ngs/index.html

Jet-lag - check out: http://www.jetlag.co.nz/
This product is available in many countries.

Cath

Old January 14th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Tim Ball

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I was mainly visiting kaikoura to do one of the whale watching trips. If I
only give myself one day I'm at the mercy of the weather but if I give
myself 2 days I'll have very long drive to my next destination Mount Cook.

I was hoping to go on a whale watching trip in Kaikoura, but