What is Adelaide Like?

Old August 31st, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default What is Adelaide Like?

I would like to know what Adelaide is like. Here are my questions:

1. Are there similarly diverse restaurants, stores and goods like you
find in Sydney and Brisbane?
2. Is it expensive (in general)? Much cheaper than Sydney? Cost of a
holiday rental for one month? The average dinner (like at a chinese
place)?
3. What is the ocean water temperature like in January? Is it cool or
tropical? (I know the air temperature is around 30C in January). Are
the beaches nice like eastern Australia?
4. How is the scenery? Mountains? Pure fresh air?
5. Are crocidiles and snakes found like they are on the east coast?
6. Will it be easy to bicycle around town and in the suburds? Bicycle
paths anywhere?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated?

Old August 31st, 2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnH

Have a look at
http://www.adelaide.southaustralia.com/home.asp

Generally:
(1) Lots of stores and restaurants of every type of food.
Stores are very sim ialr all around Aust.

(2) Cheaper than Sydney and Brisbane
Holiday rental will depend on time of year and location required.
(like any other place in the world)
What area are you thinking of staying?
Caravan parks have cabins which are very well appointed and self catering ,
have a look at
http://www.big4.com.au/public/index....1&locationid=1

or
http://www.toptouristparks.com.au/sa.asp

Both have a scheme where you can join and pay a annnual fee
and get 10% discount on every visit.
They have 1 & 2 bedroom cabins with or without ensuite shower and Toilet
facilities.
If you get one without ensuite then you use the caravan park communal toilet
and shower.
Range from $60 per night to $150 depending upon time of year / location/ how
many bedrooms etc.

(3) Meals go from $10- $50 AUD depending upon what you want.
Lots of pubs/hotels have counter meals and meals in their
dining rooms for around $10-$20 AUD
During day there are plenty of "deli's" or shops that sell lunches all over
the city and suburbs.

Adelaide (population 1,119,920 in June 2003)
Coastline: 3,700 kilometres (with 100 islands)
Temps in January are around 30C - 39C so water will be quite warm, so all
can go swimming.
Beaches are long and clean, white and sandy

(4) Lots of Scenery of all types, Hills, beach, etc
Hills not mountains, Mt Lofty is highest at 720 metres
Air is most probably cleanest of all capital cities except Perth.
Lots of day trips to places like Barossa Valley (vine growing area) for wine
tasting.
You can even go to Kangaroo Island for a day trip although a week is better.
It is 150 kms long by 50kms wide and lots to see.
look around this site if interested in that.
http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

(5) No crocodiles, Snakes mostly outside of city, bropwn and black smnak.
I lived on a farm 300kms from Adelaide in youth and saw lots, no big deal!
BTW if you have a snake cross your path, just stand perfectly still ,
as they are more frightened of you than you of them. Scare them and the
react, naturally.
Back them into a corner , then expect trouble.
Snake attacks are rare.
Few spiders are around, most harmless a couple venomous,
but just dont sit on a log "in the bush" and you should be OK.

(6) There is one major Linear Park whiuch goes from Glenelg on the sea to
the Foothills in Athelstone
Plus most city main roads are "Bicycle lane" marked in which other traffic
may not travel unless turning or passing a turning vehicle.
Easy city to get around on biker.
Also there are businesses that hire both cycles and motor scooters (for
which you can just use your car licence)
Buses are all over city.
Get a day pass or a family day pass depending upon your situation,
is a good way to get around at a good price.
Ther are two free city buses. One goes from Main city square called Victoria
Square to Railway staion on other end of main st King William St.
Its called "Bee Line" bus. Abnother goes around the outer sector of city
"square mile". It is called the City Loop bus.
Tram runs to Glenelg Beach from Victoria Square
Trains run North & South & West to places like Noarlunga, Port Adelaide,
Gawler.
Same ticket can be used on all 3 types of transport.
There is also a "guided busway" that goes from City to North East suburb of
Tea Tree Gully it is called the Obahn (german design)
It travels along the Linear park and river Torrenas for most of its journey
and is worth going on just for a ride to see the scenery.
Driver doesnt have to steer bus as it runs within a confined guided bus
track

Have a great time in Adelaide & environs
regards
John H

ps.com...

Old August 31st, 2006, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

wrote in message
ps.com...
I would like to know what Adelaide is like. Here are my questions:

1. Are there similarly diverse restaurants, stores and goods like you
find in Sydney and Brisbane?

Not as culturally diverse as Sydney and Brisbane - though the City Centre
has a fair range of shops and restaurants.

2. Is it expensive (in general)? Much cheaper than Sydney? Cost of a
holiday rental for one month? The average dinner (like at a chinese
place)?

Not as expensive in general as Sydney and Brisbane.

3. What is the ocean water temperature like in January? Is it cool or
tropical? (I know the air temperature is around 30C in January). Are
the beaches nice like eastern Australia?

Probably quite cold despite the warm air temperature, it's the Southern
Ocean.

4. How is the scenery? Mountains? Pure fresh air?

Boring except for the Adelaide Hills, and perhaps the coastal strip.

5. Are crocidiles and snakes found like they are on the east coast?

No crocs, but there are snakes. There are no crocs in Brisbane and Sydney
either (except in zoos)

6. Will it be easy to bicycle around town and in the suburds? Bicycle
paths anywhere?

Yes, Adelaide is quite flat unless you get into the Adelaide Hills a bit out
of town.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated?

www.southaustralia.com

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old August 31st, 2006, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Landlord

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I may be wrong ,but I think that 'crocidiles' still roam the CBD in the
later hours. Especially at weekends..........

Old August 31st, 2006, 09:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Turan Fettahoglu

1. Are there similarly diverse restaurants, stores and goods like you
find in Sydney and Brisbane?

Adelaide is a very normal Australian town. The area for night-owls is around
Hindley Street. I faintly remember a restaurant called Jerusalem Shishkebab.
Hope it still exists.

Bicycle:

if you come from America, keep in mind that Australia has left-hand traffic.
You might feel somewhat insecure if you ride a bicycle or drive a car. The
bus system is all right.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated?

Yes, the tap water contains lots of minerals and looks as if it was dirty.
It is not, but most houses collect rain water for cooking and drinking.

Adelaide might be a good place to start an excursion to the Outback.

Enjoy your stay there - I did!

Turan

Old August 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

"JohnH" wrote in message

SNIP

Adelaide (population 1,119,920 in June 2003)
Coastline: 3,700 kilometres (with 100 islands)
Temps in January are around 30C - 39C so water will be quite warm, so all
can go swimming.
Beaches are long and clean, white and sandy

Beaches definitely not as nice as those around Sydney which are better than
those around Brisbane. The beaches around Adelaide are on the St Vincent
Gulf not directly in the Southern Ocean. The only beaches on the Southern
Ocean anywhere near Adelaide are those near Port Elliot and Middleton. These
are better than the beaches like those at Glenelg and Semaphore (both
suburbs of Adelaide).

BTW I still reckon you should come to Perth. Our beaches are better and the
bicycle facilities beat those in the other Australian cities.

Gerrit - Perth

Old August 31st, 2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Perth was my first choice until I learned that the diversity of goods
and services (such as restuarants) was not as high as the east coast. I
want to try different soft drinks and such. Goods are also more
expensive due to the isolation. It appeared to me Perth is not typical
Australian but almost like another country. That's not bad, only I want
to experience Australia. You could convince me to stay the summer
though. What is the ocean temperature like in January? There are good
beaches? What is the average cost of a chinese restaurant dinner? In
the US is about AUS$15.00. In Europe it's about AUS$20.00.

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

SNIP

Old August 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Landlord

"Turan Fettahoglu" wrote in message
1. Are there similarly diverse restaurants, stores and goods like you
find in Sydney and Brisbane?

Adelaide is a very normal Australian town. The area for night-owls is
around Hindley Street. I faintly remember a restaurant called Jerusalem
Shishkebab. Hope it still exists.

Bicycle:

if you come from America, keep in mind that Australia has left-hand
traffic. You might feel somewhat insecure if you ride a bicycle or drive a
car. The bus system is all right.

No, the buses are on the left as well as the cars.

Old September 1st, 2006, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Perth was my first choice until I learned that the diversity of goods
and services (such as restuarants) was not as high as the east coast. I
want to try different soft drinks and such. Goods are also more
expensive due to the isolation. It appeared to me Perth is not typical
Australian but almost like another country. That's not bad, only I want
to experience Australia. You could convince me to stay the summer
though. What is the ocean temperature like in January? There are good
beaches? What is the average cost of a chinese restaurant dinner? In
the US is about AUS$15.00. In Europe it's about AUS$20.00.

You've come up against the inherent "animosity/rivalry" between east and
west coast Australia.
I live in the Perth area and have been on both sides of the country.
The cost of living in Perth has historically been lower than in Sydney and
Melbourne.
Over the last year or two that is changing due to the economic boom here in
the west.
Choice of restaurants here in Perth is no less than in NSW or Victoria. Just
remember that Perth has about 1.5 million people against Sydney or Melbourne
over 3 million so naturally there will be less restaurants but IMHO the
diversity is about the same. You just have less numbers of each type.
I just received a brochure in the mail from a chain of Asian restaurants (on
the lower end of the scale - less ambiance etc - but food I gather is quite
good) and will list some of the prices for 2 banquets available. Minimum of
4 persons in party.

Banquet A
1 Spring Roll
2 Chicken Salad
3 Green Curry Chicken
4 Lemon Prawn
5 Pepper Squid
7 Steamed Rice
Price 18.95 per person

Banquet B
1 Spring Roll
2 Satay Chicken
3 Beef Curry
4 Chicken Bamboo
5 Prawn Basil
6 Pepper Squid
7 Vegetable Noodle
8 Steamed Rice
Price $21.95 per person
Both prices include taxes and NO tips are required in Australia

Perth has about 80km (50miles) within the metropolitan area. Most of these
are superior to Adelaide's and just as good but safer than Sydney's (don't
talk about Melbourne's so called beaches on Port Phillip Bay). Beyond the
metropolitan area there are many beaches both north and south.
Water temperatures rise the further north you go and drop towards the south.
Here is a 5 year average listing of water temperature on the coast near
Perth. This would be typical for the whole area.
All temperatures are in degrees Celsius.
January 22.4
Februay 22.6
March 22.2
April 20.6
May 19.3
June 16.9
July 16.6
August 15.9
September 16.8
October 18.1
November 19.7
December 21.3

Hope this is enough for the time being.
Wait for the flak from the Eastern Sates!

Gerrit - Perth

Old September 1st, 2006, 06:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Perth was my first choice until I learned that the diversity of goods
and services (such as restuarants) was not as high as the east coast. I
want to try different soft drinks and such. Goods are also more
expensive due to the isolation. It appeared to me Perth is not typical
Australian but almost like another country. That's not bad, only I want
to experience Australia. You could convince me to stay the summer
though. What is the ocean temperature like in January? There are good
beaches? What is the average cost of a chinese restaurant dinner? In
the US is about AUS$15.00. In Europe it's about AUS$20.00.

BTW if you wish to know something about cycling in the Perth area then look
up this website: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/1515.asp

Gerrit