Fraser Island

Old September 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mike Saunders

Default Fraser Island

I am travelling from the UK and have my own tent & sleeping bag but no
other camping gear. I would like to spend a few nights in the Fraser
Island area and was wondering if I could rent the other stuff I would
need

Where could I rent from and what itms do you think I would need

Many thanks

MIke

Old September 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
www.poms.co.uk

--

You can get tent while your over in ozz dead cheap dont bother taking a
sleaping bag or tent.

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Old September 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Roger[_2_]

"Mike Saunders" wrote in message
I am travelling from the UK and have my own tent & sleeping bag but no
other camping gear. I would like to spend a few nights in the Fraser
Island area and was wondering if I could rent the other stuff I would
need

Where could I rent from and what itms do you think I would need

Many thanks

MIke

Fraser is a take everything camping experience, water, food, toilet
paper, etc. Backpacking/hiking on the Island is possible, but I'd have
to say rarer than taking a 4x4. Depending on the time of year you
visit will depend on what you need, our normally dry winter has in
the past few weeks been wet and cold (19C is cold to me!!!).
In Summer all you need is mozzie net and a big tarpaulin to keep
the rain off, winter a good free standing igloo tent (pegs are useless
on a sand island) and sleeping bag and a mozzie net, in spring and
in autumn - a mozzie net.

There are a few 4x4 rental companies in Hervey Bay, Rainbow
Beach and Noosa that hire out all the gear you need. Lookup
the Aus yellowpages website or Google. There are also 4x4 tour
buses that leave from Noosa and drive up the beach to Fraser
and also from Rainbow Beach.

Old September 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry

"Mike Saunders" wrote in message
I am travelling from the UK and have my own tent & sleeping bag but no
other camping gear. I would like to spend a few nights in the Fraser
Island area and was wondering if I could rent the other stuff I would
need

Where could I rent from and what itms do you think I would need

Many thanks

MIke

--

Also, if you're staying at a backpackers or YHA in the area, ask them. They
might just have a store room full of old tents and sleeping bags left behind

A few years back I arrived in Winter Park, USA in the in the middle of the
ski season with no ski gear. I stayed at the hostel and they had a room full
of old ski gear. They fitted me out with the whole kit, including gloves and
mask. All I had to do was hire the ski's and buy a lift ticket - from them
(YHA) at a massive discount.