Advance booking for accommodation in NZ / Feb-Mar

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janne

Default Advance booking for accommodation in NZ / Feb-Mar

Hi there,

I'd like to hear your opinion wheter we should book our NZ accommodation in
advance or just try to find a place to stay as we go.... We're visiting New
Zealand from 20 Feb to 5 Mar and focus is on the south island. Travelling by
car.

Thanks,

Janne from Finland (just from the opposite side of the globe...)

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_1_]

"Janne" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I'd like to hear your opinion wheter we should book our NZ accommodation
in advance or just try to find a place to stay as we go.... We're visiting
New Zealand from 20 Feb to 5 Mar and focus is on the south island.
Travelling by car.

Thanks,

Janne from Finland (just from the opposite side of the globe...)

As a South Islander who moves around the country regularly - I have never
advance booked accomodation anywhere in New Zealand. Best to keep yourself
flexible as to when and where you go. Motels display vacancy/no vacancy
signs outside, so you might have to drive past a couple but will soon find a
vacancy. Most towns have a 'duty motel' system so are aware of which motels
are booked out, and which have vacancies, and are very helpful usually. You
won't have any trouble at all.
Very good accomodation from around $70 to 80 in small towns and perhaps $90
to $110 in bigger cities. There is no need to pay a fortune, but if you
want - someone will be only too happy to 'help'.
If you're travelling on the cheap, you will get accomodation at motor camps
(a cabin) for much less, but you will need sheets + blankets or sleeping
bag.

Old September 18th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

"Janne" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I'd like to hear your opinion wheter we should book our NZ accommodation
in advance or just try to find a place to stay as we go.... We're visiting
New Zealand from 20 Feb to 5 Mar and focus is on the south island.
Travelling by car.

Thanks,

Janne from Finland (just from the opposite side of the globe...)

You might find some difficulty on the west coast of the south island, where
there isn't a lot of accommodation. February is quite a busy month.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old September 21st, 2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnM

In article , Janne
writes
Hi there,

I'd like to hear your opinion wheter we should book our NZ accommodation in
advance or just try to find a place to stay as we go.... We're visiting New
Zealand from 20 Feb to 5 Mar and focus is on the south island. Travelling by
car.

I didn't pre-book accommodation and I was there for 3 months last year.
Only twice did I have a problem: in Invercargill when they had a special
marching band competition the w/e I was there and returning to Nelson
one day coz I was there late, at 8:30pm. Even then I found something.
If you are worried, I suggest you book accommodation a few days before
you are about to hit one place with a phonecall.

--
JohnM