Cruises to Key West

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Cruises to Key West

Are there any cruise ships that dock at Key West during the evening
time? My last cruise was on Enchantment of The Seas and it stopped off at
Key West during the morning and we left around 4pm, 5pm, or 6pm.

I was thinking that Key West would be a lot more fun in the evening time
instead of the day time at least as far as visiting the bars (and drinking
too much) is concerned.

Really, what else is there to do on Key West? No wonder Hemingway drunk
so much while down there. It really seems there is nothing else to do.

Anyway, any cruise ships make there stops in the evening time at Key
West?

Thanks!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Von Fourche wrote:
Are there any cruise ships that dock at Key West during the evening
time?

Van we did the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveson last month. It
included a stop in Key West from 3 PM to midnight (along with Grand
Cayman and Cozumel), and was WONDERFUL.

Here's a link to my review if you're interested:

http://tinyurl.com/qadpm

~ Peri
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/21/06 10:21 PM Peri consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
Von Fourche wrote:
Are there any cruise ships that dock at Key West during the
evening time?

Van we did the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveson last month. It
included a stop in Key West from 3 PM to midnight (along with Grand
Cayman and Cozumel), and was WONDERFUL.

Here's a link to my review if you're interested:

http://tinyurl.com/qadpm

~ Peri

Except for the folks expecting Sunset Celebration that evening. What's
a Sunset Celebration when there's cruise ship(s) blocking the view at
Mallory Sq? Disappointing to say the least. A while back an ordinance
was being considered to ban cruise ships docking at Mallory Sq such that
they would block sunset. It was defeated by those greedy members of the
counsel who own t-shirt, curio, and tourist chachaka shops on Duval.
Personally, I'd rather see the ships tender in to the White Street Pier
and free up Mallory Sq completely.

I am very fond of Key West, when I can afford it time and money wise
it's my second home. The only true way to experience Key West, as well
as the other Fla Keys, is to **stay** there for a period of time. You
really can't appreciate it in a day, or even a night on a cruise. For
example, you can't do Sunday Jazz Brunch at Casa Marina, or Tea Dance at
Atlantic Shores in the evening. Cruise ships have long set their course
for other ports when La-Te-Da, Salon 809, Schooner Wharf Bar shows
really cut loose. One thing Key West is also known for is the variety of
dining experiences. If you visit her on a cruise, the tendancy is to
take meals aboard the ship. That way you miss Breakfast at Blue Heaven,
or Sunday Brunch at Louie's Back Yard. How about a grilled lobster
sandwich or stone crab claws at the Half Moon Raw Bar? What about 2
a.m. munchies at Iguana Cafe? You don't get to dine in a
hole-in-the-wall seafood bistro run by an award winning NY Chef who got
tired of the cold. If it's still there it's called Seven Fish.

If you stay in a B&B in Key West on weekends you become part of a
roaming Happy Hour that moves from B&B to B&B. It's a great way to see
the city, check out other B&B places and meet fellow vacationers.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Brian K wrote:

Except for the folks expecting Sunset Celebration that evening. What's
a Sunset Celebration when there's cruise ship(s) blocking the view at
Mallory Sq? Disappointing to say the least. (snip)

Sorry, Brian, but you're wrong here. We (and everyone else who was at
Mallory Square that evening) enjoyed a brilliant sunset with no
obstruction by the cruise ship, which was sitting comfortably to the
left of the glorious view.

The only true way to experience Key West, as well
as the other Fla Keys, is to **stay** there for a period of time. (snip)

Of course one could say the exact same things about all the other ports
visited by cruise ships. This is not an extended visit to an area, just
a taste of some of the highlights it has to offer. That's why many of
us choose to cruise and is why others choose longer land tours...or some
combination of the above.

~ Peri

Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

ink.net...
Von Fourche wrote:
[...]

Like I said, it's a good place to drink (and eat) but that's it. I
found it "touristy" even tho I'm sure the business owners would disagree.
Maybe I will movie there someday - when I want to get plastered with whiskey
and drink myself to death.

I also know about half a dozen couples who have visited Key West for a
few days or more. The first thing they always say after coming back is "Too
Many Gays." Really, Florida should do something about that problem.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

ink.net...

Von Fourche wrote:

[...]

It's only a problem if you are homophobic. It's a given when you travel
that you will encounter people and cultures different from your home.
If you don't like it - stay home. If you do your homework you will see
that gays and lesbians have been responsible for transforming backwater
places into prime real estate with good rateables. I highly doubt that
Florida or any area would consider gays, lesbians, bi-sexuals, and
transgendered people undesirables. Here's another news flash! One of
the most recent mayors of Key West is a gay man. If the good people of
Key West saw fit to vote him into office it should telegraph one thing
-- differentness is not a liability in Key West. In fact it's something
the tourist board markets as part of Key West's cache.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old February 24th, 2006, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Von Fourche" wrote:

link.net...
Von Fourche wrote:
[...]

We lived in Key West for three years (1966 to 1969) and have visited
several times for a couple of weeks at a time for the last 5 winters
both on our boat and by car. We do eat, but we don't drink at all and
never visit bars. I've never been bored there - there's a lot to do
if you aren't blinded by Duval street.

I also know about half a dozen couples who have visited Key West for a
few days or more. The first thing they always say after coming back is "Too
Many Gays." Really, Florida should do something about that problem.

I haven't found it to be a problem, and if I did think it was a
problem I wouldn't think it would be something that Florida could do
anything about (any more than they are).

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/