Colon, Panama

Old February 24th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Colon, Panama

Planning a cruise in Dec. with a stop in Colon. Has anyone been to Colon.
Not much on the web about the place. Any thoughts please reply..........

Tks

Old February 25th, 2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Planning a cruise in Dec. with a stop in Colon. Has anyone been to Colon.
Not much on the web about the place. Any thoughts please reply..........

Yep, been there...take the bus or train excursion to Panama City....Two
oceans in one day!
Panama City is far more picturesque than Colon, and the highlands of Panama
are green and lush. (we took the bus)

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Take a ships cruise. The one I recommend is the Grand Tour which takes you
on a tour to the former US Naval base to the hospital there which is now a
resort. You will then take a small boat and cruise one of the lakes that
feed the canal and explore wildlife. During this tour you will also visit an
Indian village, (be advised, partial nudity), and learn some of their way of
life.You will then get back on the boat and back to the resort and go to the
Gatun Locks and be able to watch ships pass through the canal locks. Then
back to the port. Do not go off on your own as it is really not all that
safe.
Jim
www.themarinerscabin.com

Old February 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I totally agree with Jim. We have been to Colon three times and
through the locks via ship twice. The tours from the ship are a little
pricey but worth it. The last time we were there was a month ago. We
hired a taxi to the Gatun locks and had no problems. If you decide to
do this, be very careful as Colon is not a safe place. There are some
shops at the pier, which are safe but I wouldn't wander outside the
fence from this shopping area. Enjoy your cruise! Linda

Old February 25th, 2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dear Peanut M

Colon was one of my favorite stops. My buddy and I did it on our own.
We got off the ship and looked for a place to get a cab; a cop brought
us over to a guy who was a real gem. For aprox 80 bucks (including a
generous tip) [and it wasn't per person - it was 80 for two] he took
us on a forty minute ride to La Gusta beach. It's a public beach with
facilities. Great snorkeling. Beautiful beach. Family oriented. He
waited for us for an hour and a half while we snorkeled {he watched our
stuff}, then he drove us over to the locks where we ended up tagging
onto the end of a ship excursion {I think we would have had to pay
extra if not for the coincidence}. Originally, we were just planning
on going to the beach, but when we realized the locks were on the way
back to the ship, our driver said he'd take us for only 15 dollars
extra {that was included in my 80 dollars above}. So anyway, great
time. But a warning: be prepared for extreme poverty. Enjoy your
cruise.
-
David

Old February 25th, 2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Yes the views of the water and snorkeling (which can be done on many
cruises) is wonderful! The problem will be overlooking the EXTREME
poverty and finding a kind driver.

Old February 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

It was one of our stops in 2005 during our Celebrity cruise.

Have a few photos on the web at:

http://www.kmfarm.us/2005-cruise-04.html

We did the ship organized stuff and then we had some time to kill so we
hired a cab to take us up to the locks. Was a bit worried about the
security situation but it worked out.

Like the others said not a real safe place !!