Ports to Avoid

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Ports to Avoid

It's a bit of an old article (2008), but somewhat interesting none the less.
It's a listing of Ports - to - Avoid, per Forbes Traveler.

The primary point is that with 6-8 mega ships and an extra 20,000 people in
each port... well you get the idea.

http://www.forbestraveler.com/cruise...hisSpeed=25000

Here's their list of ports to avoid. There is a write up on each one.

Seward, Alaska
Venice, Italy
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Kusadasi, Turkey
Capri, Italy
Cozumel, Mexico
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
St. Thomas, USVI
Nassau, Bahamas
Phillipsburg, St. Maarten
Ketchikan, Alaska
Mykonos and Santorini, Greece
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Rhodes, Greece

Old September 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kerry ambler

tom, other than the two ports in alaska, i have been to all of the listed
ports. i loved them all and would go back again. forbes is smoking crack.

Old September 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

(Tom*K) wrote:

Here's their list of ports to avoid. There is a
write up on each one.

Seward, Alaska
Venice, Italy
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Kusadasi, Turkey
Capri, Italy
Cozumel, Mexico
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
St. Thomas, USVI
Nassau, Bahamas
Phillipsburg, St. Maarten
Ketchikan, Alaska
Mykonos and Santorini, Greece
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Rhodes, Greece

We were in 3 of those ports on our cruise last mont on the Noordam.

Santorini was no problem as we were the only cruise ship in port.

There were 2 Celebrity ships in port with us in Kusadasi. It was busy in
Epheseus. But, I would not say we had a problem with it.

I do not know if there were other ships in Dubrovnik. It did seem
everyone we ran into was from the Noordam.

Actually, the port that a problem occurred because of too many ships was
Corfu. It seems that we were one of 4 ships with only 3 docking spaces.
We ended up the odd ship out and were forced to make it a tender port.
As I wrote in my review orf the cruise, our ship's travel person said
this was the first time that he had experienced Corfu as a tender port.
Also, as I noted in my review, there was a man who took a hard fall
boarding the tender landing on his elbow and drawing blood.

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

So, ignoring Forbes (which is never a bad idea), what ports do *YOU*
think should be avoided?
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:36:46 -0400, "Tom K"
wrote:

It's a bit of an old article (2008), but somewhat interesting none the less.
It's a listing of Ports - to - Avoid, per Forbes Traveler.

They were OK with the ports, they just didn't like the crowds when
several large ships were in port at the same time. So (as the
articles suggested) go during the non-peak season. We were in
Ketchikan in early June a few years ago, and it wasn't completely
unmanageable - just get out of the main shopping area as quickly as
possible.

Personally, I'd avoid anything in Jamaica because of the high levels
of violence and homophobia.

Old September 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 9/12/09 10:02 PM, in article ,
"Ike" wrote:

So, ignoring Forbes (which is never a bad idea), what ports do *YOU*
think should be avoided?

Sihanoukville, Cambodia (if no Pnom Penh excursion is booked).

Old September 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

JACK:
Agree with you 100 percent,jamaica should be avoided at all times.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old September 13th, 2009, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ike
wrote:

So, ignoring Forbes (which is never a bad idea), what ports do *YOU*
think should be avoided?

There is one port on the Forbes list that I do think should be avoided.
That is Nassau. It is crummy, no charm. The straw market sucks. If you
go snorkeling or whatever they cram you on an overcrowded boat.

--
Charles