AA 3rd degree at FRA---normal? legal?

Old July 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Michael

Default AA 3rd degree at FRA---normal? legal?

"Scott" wrote in message
I haven't been shown pretty pictures, but the questions are SOP for a US
carrier in Europe.

I've flown US Airways from Manchester to the Philadelphia twice in the past
few months, and I wasn't asked any questions like these. The only questions
I was asked was the standard ones about "did you pack your own bags"?

Old July 12th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Karl Wagner

This wasn't German security.

But were they German nationals ?
Or Trained by Germans ?

(not that I have anything against Germans)

I frequently go through FRA, and IMHO American security is a lot more
paranoid than the German one.

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Elan Remford

Given the recent climate, I find it absolutely AMAZING that ANYONE would
question ANY measures taken to enhance flight security. Time and time
again, it seems the only "unfair" procedures are those that happen to a
given passenger who would rather not take the time. No amount of perceived
"unfairness" outweighs the goal of safe travel. Period.

When you fly commercially, you are wholly subject to the terms and
conditions of the respective airline, airport, local, regional AND national
authorities. If you find them objectionable, you have every right to choose
other means of travel or not travel at all.

"RPG" wrote in message
I just returned from a trip to FRA on AA. No hassle on the outbound, but

on
the way back, everyone ahead of me in line seemed to be spending five
minutes or more at security. When I got to security, the El-Al-style
questions included:

How did you get to the aiport? Can you produce the ticket for the train?

Why were you in Europe? Can you prove it?

Where do you work? Do you have ID?

They then showed me (and were showing everyone) one of those posters that
have pictures of things you can't take on the plane. Did I have any of
these things?

I don't think I was singled out for questioning, everyone was being asked
lots of questions. When I expressed surprise, the guy said "Maybe you

don't
fly AA, because we do this everywhere." But I do fly AA to LHR fairly
regularly, and while there is a security "interview" at LHR, the questions
I've fielded there have been perfectly reasonable, nothing like this.

To my subsequent shame, I did show them a piece of paper that was evidence
of what I had been doing in Europe. I declined to look for the S-bahn
ticket and said I didn't have any employee ID; I also rolled my eyes when
they showed me the laminated picture of the banned items, and said I'd

been
flying a long time. I was then selected for manual baggage search (sloppy
and casual, but done right in front of everyone).

I remember reading something here about this sort of thing happening on AA
maybe 10 years ago, but that it was stopped after court cases. Am I right?

Is this level of questioning normal on AA in Europe? Is LHR the exception,
or is FRA?

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 02:11:59 GMT "Elan Remford"
wrote:

:Given the recent climate, I find it absolutely AMAZING that ANYONE would
:question ANY measures taken to enhance flight security.

The issue is whether the measures, in fact, do anything to enhance flight
security.

To someone like you, who maybe flies once or twice a year, and does not have a
clue as to how security should work, it may not be much of an inconvenience.

To those who fly more frequently, and see how others do security in a much
better way, is in quite annoying.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Binyamin Dissen

wrote:

:Given the recent climate, I find it absolutely AMAZING that ANYONE would
:question ANY measures taken to enhance flight security.

The issue is whether the measures, in fact, do anything to enhance flight
security.

To someone like you, who maybe flies once or twice a year, and does not have a
clue as to how security should work, it may not be much of an inconvenience.

To those who fly more frequently, and see how others do security in a much
better way, it is quite annoying.

Old July 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Elan Remford" wrote in message
Given the recent climate,

Which recent climate ?
Sept 11th was nearly 3 years ago.

GET OVER IT !

(Not meant as a insensitive comment to those who lost loved ones during the
incidents).