When to recline?

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM
PTRAVEL

Default When to recline?

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

Old March 17th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Mike Cordelli

Same as for electronics and the rest, above 10,000 feet. Most airlines ask
you to pick up the seat for dinner too.

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM
cj

PTRAVEL wrote:
This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

Like the other poster stated, as soon as you hear the double-ding. You
wouldn't want to trap the people behind you if the plane did go down
before achieving cruising altitude, would you? Chances are they
wouldn't need the extra space for exiting, but you just never know.
Old March 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Blake S

I've also noticed that different airlines double-ding at different
altitudes. Alaska almost always does it at 10,000 ft., but United sometimes
waits until 15-20,000 ft.

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:15 PM
PTRAVEL

PTRAVEL wrote:
This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume

recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding

on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt

light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining

after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

Like the other poster stated, as soon as you hear the double-ding. You
wouldn't want to trap the people behind you if the plane did go down
before achieving cruising altitude, would you?

That's the question, though. 10,000 feet (double-ding altitude) is well
below cruising altitude. I've always though wheels-up was reasonable, in
that the plane wouldn't be landing again (hopefully) as long as the wheels
were up. Is there an FAA reg anywhere?

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Dick Locke

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:10:24 -0800, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

I do it almost right after the plane is off the ground and clearly
isn't going to abort T/O. I have learned not to do it under
acceleration or rapid climb because the seat flies back and bangs
somebody. AFAIK there is no rule.
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:18 PM
PTRAVEL

"Blake S" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I've also noticed that different airlines double-ding at different
altitudes. Alaska almost always does it at 10,000 ft., but United

sometimes
waits until 15-20,000 ft.

On United, the "no electronics" announcement usually is something along the
lines of, "until 10 minutes after takeoff." I've been on a number of United
flights in which there was never a double-ding -- the FA would make an
announcement saying approved electronic devices could now be used. I even
had one flight where there was no announcement; I asked the FA and he said,
"oh, yeah, that's right -- you can use them now." Most other airlines that
I fly, i.e. Continental, Northwest, Delta and American, do the standard
double-ding, and it appears to be around 10,000 feet.

Old March 17th, 2004, 11:21 PM
PTRAVEL

wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume

recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining

after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

I do it almost right after the plane is off the ground and clearly
isn't going to abort T/O. I have learned not to do it under
acceleration or rapid climb because the seat flies back and bangs
somebody. AFAIK there is no rule.

It's always struck me as wierd, though. The FAs on every airline I've ever
flown are absolutely strict about seats being upright for takeoff. I fly a
lot, but I've never seen or heard any guidelines for when its okay to
recline, though. I do what you do -- if the takeoff is past the point of
abort, it should be okay to recline (and, for landing, seats up takes place
well below 10,000 feet, now that I think about it).

Old March 18th, 2004, 01:29 AM
The Grammer Genious

PTRAVEL wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? ...

If you're sitting in front of me, you can try it whenever you want to, because
you won't be able to do it in any case.

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:07 AM
PTRAVEL

"The Grammer Genious" wrote in message
PTRAVEL wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume

recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding

on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt

light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? ...

If you're sitting in front of me, you can try it whenever you want to,

because
you won't be able to do it in any case.

"This is NOT a revisit of the recline/don't recline debate."