Frequent Flying and Illness

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM
callie

Default Frequent Flying and Illness

I have a question for those who fly a lot.

I've never been much of a flyer, and yet the last 8 months have seen
me on 5 round trips, with regular travel now being my life. I find
that when I get close to a scheduled trip, I start to feel ill, when I
fly, I feel just ickky when I get off the plane, and I'm not well for
a few days after each trip. This is a both coming-and-going issue.

Is this something related to flying, to airplanes and their air
quality, or do I just chalk it up to high-stress ahead of a trip?

Does anyone else have general health issues with a lot of flights
each year?

How about those of you who travel in groups of time, then take that
much grouping of time and don't see an airplane?

The majority of my travel is international, but for the most part,
I've been able to be comfortable (I think!) in my clothes and seating
arrangements.

Thanks for any insights you have!

callie
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Miss L. Toe

"callie" wrote in message
I have a question for those who fly a lot.

I've never been much of a flyer, and yet the last 8 months have seen
me on 5 round trips, with regular travel now being my life. I find
that when I get close to a scheduled trip, I start to feel ill,

A definate sign of it being phycological.

Does anyone else have general health issues with a lot of flights
each year?

Not I.

How about those of you who travel in groups of time, then take that
much grouping of time and don't see an airplane?

I get withdrawl symptons if I dont fly for about a month.

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
cj

callie wrote:

I have a question for those who fly a lot.

I've never been much of a flyer, and yet the last 8 months have seen
me on 5 round trips, with regular travel now being my life. I find
that when I get close to a scheduled trip, I start to feel ill, when I
fly, I feel just ickky when I get off the plane, and I'm not well for
a few days after each trip. This is a both coming-and-going issue.

Is this something related to flying, to airplanes and their air
quality, or do I just chalk it up to high-stress ahead of a trip?

Could be both. Stressing out ahead of time lowers your immunity. If
you are doing something different while traveling than with not
traveling, you are then physically stressing your body and immune
system. I know if I eat differently (not necessarily quality but type
and quantity of food) while traveling than at home, I often feel run
down and not as healthy. Of course dealing with multiple germs/viruses
at different places don't help in the least. Perhaps take vitamins or
eat properly before, during and after will help? Change your frame of
mind...such as reading a book/listening to music while at home and while
on the plane might help you relax? My biggest stressors are when the
trip is not planned to the point that I know almsot exactly
where/what/when I will be doing something.

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Howard Long

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

I get withdrawl symptons if I dont fly for about a month.

That could be construed as a somewhat masochistic tendancy. ;-)

Kind Regards, Howard

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Howard Long" wrote in message
"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

I get withdrawl symptons if I dont fly for about a month.

That could be construed as a somewhat masochistic tendancy. ;-)

And it gets even worse on those rare occasions when nothing goes wrong.

Old April 7th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
callie wrote:

[...]

If you start to feel ill BEFORE a flight, it cannot possibly be the
actual air travel that ails you. I suspect you are experiencing some
axiety about air travel. Perhaps you should speak with a therapist
about your concerns if they really bother you.
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:46 AM
callie

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:00:45 -0400, Shawn Hearn
wrote:

If you start to feel ill BEFORE a flight, it cannot possibly be the
actual air travel that ails you. I suspect you are experiencing some
axiety about air travel. Perhaps you should speak with a therapist
about your concerns if they really bother you.

Based on the answers here, it looks like I'm just over-stressing on
the reasons *for* the trips. I'm a little uncomfortable with
take-offs and landings, but it's never been anything serious. So,
because these trips are high-stress for the time period between the
flights, I'm gonna chalk this one up to not wanting the trip, instead
of having flying problems.

I'm still interested in hearing about it if any other frequent fliers
do get ill from the trips themselves. It was a shot in the dark,
still is, but just in case -- and thanks for the reassurances, I guess
it's just my traveling reasons, not the traveling itself.