Arab Contract for US Ports

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Arab Contract for US Ports

Now that Pres Bush has put his seal of approval on the Dubai contract
for the port of Miami, Baltimore, New York, Boston, Philadelphia etc.
How will this effect your decision to go on cruises from those ports?

In the case of Miami attractive port alternatives are Port Everglades
and Port Canaveral, Other port choice exist for all cruise
itineraries.

How will this new contract effect your cruise choices in the future?

Inspector Gadget

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article ,
wrote:

How will this new contract effect your cruise choices in the future?

Won't. Why should it?

--
"Distracting a politician from governing is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
--PJ O'Rourke
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote:
Now that Pres Bush has put his seal of approval on the Dubai contract
for the port of Miami, Baltimore, New York, Boston, Philadelphia etc.
How will this effect your decision to go on cruises from those ports?

The New York cruise port (west side of Manhattan) is not part of the
Dubai contract. NY and NJ jointly own the Port of Elizabeth (across the
Hudson River from NYC), only part of which is being considered for this
Dubai thing. From what I understand, the port is divided into 6
separate operations areas, each area currently being run by foreign
interests including China, Denmark and England, if I'm not mistaken.
The proposed Dubai contract applies to only one of these six areas at
the port. These are freight shipping areas, not passenger cruise ship
areas - infinitely more vulnerable to misconduct, I would think (the
volume of containers going through this port is unbelievably huge and
only about 8% of containers get more than a radiation screening). So,
as much as I have a problem with this decision by Bush (but, what don't
I have a problem with, regarding this administration...sheesh), it will
have no bearing on my decisions whether or not to cruise out of NYC.

I have no idea of the logistics of the other ports in question.

Lee

Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Paul McCartney and Wings had a song tha fits perfectly:

'Let 'Em In'

Next thing you know WE will be paying them.

The END is near.

"I feel a big one." (holding one hand up in the air while the other is
firmly against my chest close to my heart)
"This is the BIG one of all BIG ONES"

Old February 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article . com,
"LeeNY" wrote:
wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I think it's an awful idea. I don't like the idea
of our port operations being under foreign contracts - Arab or
otherwise. But, I'm pretty sure, at least as far as NYC port operations
go, this operations contract will not involve passenger cruise ships.

I looked at a list of major ports being run by foreign
companies. The list is about 20. So, I take it that had you known,
you would not have been happy with P&O getting the contract in the
first place?

--
Then there was the runner-up: An infinite number of
rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks fire an

BONG #469
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

SpencerDogg wrote:
On Feb 24 2006 10:37 AM, LeeNY wrote:

wrote:
Lee

Don't get me wrong. I think it's an awful idea. I don't like the idea
of our port operations being under foreign contracts - Arab or
otherwise.

So you don't have a problem since it's one foreigh company replacing
another?

Where did I say that I didn't have a problem with this? Read my
statement above.

Lee

Old February 24th, 2006, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article . com,
"LeeNY" wrote:
wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I think it's an awful idea. I don't like the idea
of our port operations being under foreign contracts - Arab or
otherwise. But, I'm pretty sure, at least as far as NYC port operations
go, this operations contract will not involve passenger cruise ships.

I looked at a list of major ports being run by foreign
companies. The list is about 20. So, I take it that had you known,
you would not have been happy with P&O getting the contract in the
first place?

I'd be happiest if US ports were operated by US companies. I'm not
particularly comfortable with any of our port operations being run by
any foreign country.

Lee