Germany during World Cup

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Alan S" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm planning a rtw trip for next year and just realised that
my projected timing in Germany coincides with much of the
period of the Soccer World Cup. The Cup is scheduled to run
from 9th June to 9th July, with matches in:

Is anyone able to comment on the likelihood of accommodation
or other difficulties in Germany during this period?

I was in a Munich hotel that I stayed in regularly the day after
Germany were given the competition. Whilst in reception
chatting with the owner he took a call from someone who
wanted to discuss terms for block booking his whole hotel
for the whole period of the competition.

In towns where there are games I think that you are going to
find somewhere to stay almost impossible to find at anything
other than extortionate prices

tim

Old June 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know. But the Germans have been typically efficient and
completed all their stadium rebuilding and refurbishments 12 months
before the finals.

The rebuilt road to Arena Schalke is not due to be finished until a few
weeks before, I hope that it doesn't overrun.

tim

I'm sure public transport and policing will be fine. But at the moment,
I don't know how they are going to sell the tickets. Probably a mix of
on-line and local ticket offices.

Bruce

Old June 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Alan S

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:09:54 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

Hi All

I'm planning a rtw trip for next year and just realised that
my projected timing in Germany coincides with much of the
period of the Soccer World Cup.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'll skirt the venue
cities and stay out in the country - unless my lot are
playing:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Mimi

"Alan S" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm planning a rtw trip for next year and just realised that
my projected timing in Germany coincides with much of the
period of the Soccer World Cup.

Is anyone able to comment on the likelihood of accommodation
or other difficulties in Germany during this period? Has
anyone experience from previous periods in countries when
the World Cup was occurring?

We were in Italy while the World Cup was being played there. My husband
thought I was nuts to plan such a trip. But if you avoided the towns where
the games were being played, tourism was actually lighter than usual. We had
a great trip. The only negative was the crowds at night celebrating Italian
victories. In retrospect, we should have gone out and joined them. But this
only affected us a couple nights.

Marianne

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

there's no chance for a German to buy a ticket unless they have contact
with some of the other participating countries football unions.

The current stage of ticket sales lets you still buy tickets, but it is
oriented toward those following a particular team. But if you are a
follower of Germany, Argentina, Brazil, England, Ireland, Italy, Japan,
Mexico, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden or the USA (due to high demand)
then you will be out of luck. If you want to follow Australia you still
have a chance though!
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/.../overview.html

Old June 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Alan S

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:58:50 -0500, "Douglas W. Hoyt"
wrote:

If you want to follow Australia you still
have a chance though!
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/.../overview.html

Thanks for that - after just losing today to Germany 4-3
(one of the 4 was a dubious penalty) we may even have a
chance of making it. We still have to beat whoever comes 5th
in South America in November.

Do they allow people to sell their unwanted tickets at the
gates in Germany, as I did with some tickets in Sydney at
the Olympics?

Cheers, Alan, Australia