January in Rome

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM

Default January in Rome

My wife and I are booked for a week in Rome in January. We are booked at
Grand Hotel Palatino, around the corner from the Coliseum.

We are interested in historic Rome and very much enjoy good food (probably
too much, but that's for another newsgroup.) We know it is not possible to
see and do everything Rome has to offer in just one week, so we are looking
for any suggestions and comments.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article m, t
wrote:

My wife and I are booked for a week in Rome in January. We are booked at
Grand Hotel Palatino, around the corner from the Coliseum.

We are interested in historic Rome and very much enjoy good food (probably
too much, but that's for another newsgroup.) We know it is not possible to
see and do everything Rome has to offer in just one week, so we are looking
for any suggestions and comments.

Graet time to go. Tourists don;t like to go to Rome in Januar but
they're all there beginning of February. That ws my experience earlier
this year.

Do research on the sites. The EUR 25 pass for Flavian amphitheatre,
forum romanum, palatine palace, baths of caracalla, some museums and a
mausoleum on the via appia is good value. Don;t forget Nero's Domus
Aurea. Do your research before you go.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM

[...]

To eat and drink only one suggestion: avoid the center! full of tourist
traps! go eat in Testaccio area:
"Lo Scopettaro" (lungotevere Testaccio) roman cooking, fablous!
"Bucatino" (via mastro giorgio): typical familiar roman trattoria, great and
cheap too, my grandad worked for ages in testaccio's market and used to eat
there everyday! their best dish is the top-notch Bucatini Amatriciana!!!
Or in Trastevere area, if you're looking for good pizzeria's and pubs.

--------------------

Don't be fooled because Roman Forum is totally free-entry for everybody.

I suggest you to visit these palces, a MUST!

Colosseo, Domus Aurea, Palatine, Tomb of Cecilia Metella and Romolo's Tomb
on Appia Antica Street, Caracalla Thermae (but ostia's are better).

S.Clemente Basilica - incredible 3 layers church, a basilica built on a
medieval church, built on a roman mythraeum, built on 1st century roman
houses!

Campidoglio - great view of the forum, in this woderful michelagelo's
square.

Ostia Antica (Ancient Ostia) fabulous a really must to visit!! 25 km from
rome, easy to reach by metropolitan train (departing from piazzale Caio
Cestio - Piramide every half hour) in 20 minutes. A well preserved roman
city, with baths, theatre, laundries, private houses, eveything, even an
ancient roman pub! Minimum 4 hours visit to get its best.

Piazza Di Spagna, and all the center of Rome, from Piazza Venezia to Piazza
del Popolo. Great sights and good shopping.

St.Peter's Church, but not only the church, when you're there don't forget
to visit St.Peter's Treasure and go up the cupola, to the highest point!

Vatican Museums, in january you should manage to get in, in summer the
super-maxi-long queue of tourist is unbearable... take in mind there's a lot
to see.

Castel St.Angelo - Or Adrian Mauseoleum: once the tomb of Adrian, then
became a fortification along the Tiber during middle-age, pope's fortress.
it is situated just near St.Peter.

I hope it'll be useful! buy a good street map with bus and metro lines too.
Try to avoid taxis that are really expensive, and plan daily your visit
divided in areas!

Old May 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 28 May 2004 02:45:13 GMT, t wrote:

My wife and I are booked for a week in Rome in January. We are booked at
Grand Hotel Palatino, around the corner from the Coliseum.

We are interested in historic Rome and very much enjoy good food (probably
too much, but that's for another newsgroup.) We know it is not possible to
see and do everything Rome has to offer in just one week, so we are looking
for any suggestions and comments.

I just responded to someone else with suggestions on the same topic.
The thread is called "Best time to visit Italy [Rome]". I didn't
mention restaurants, but definitely historic sites.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:22 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:16:33 +0200, wrote:

To eat and drink only one suggestion: avoid the center! full of tourist
traps! go eat in Testaccio area:

There are plenty of good restaurants in the center.

Or in Trastevere area, if you're looking for good pizzeria's and pubs.

.... and there are plenty of tourist traps in Trastevere.
-----------
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
B Vaughan typed:

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:16:33 +0200, wrote:

To eat and drink only one suggestion: avoid the center! full of
tourist traps! go eat in Testaccio area:

There are plenty of good restaurants in the center.

Or in Trastevere area, if you're looking for good pizzeria's

and pubs.

... and there are plenty of tourist traps in Trastevere.

Ditto and ditto. Neither area is the exclusive province of either
tourist traps or good restaurants.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old May 29th, 2004, 09:29 AM

"Ken Blake" ha scritto nel messaggio
In ,
B Vaughan typed:

On Fri, 28 May 2004 14:16:33 +0200, wrote:

To eat and drink only one suggestion: avoid the center! full of
tourist traps! go eat in Testaccio area:

There are plenty of good restaurants in the center.

i never said that center restaurants aren't good, but they're 90% expensiver
than everywhere else...

Or in Trastevere area, if you're looking for good pizzeria's

and pubs.

... and there are plenty of tourist traps in Trastevere.

Ditto and ditto. Neither area is the exclusive province of either
tourist traps or good restaurants.

like everywhere, but less than the center.... the average (and for average i
mean people that prefere good food and cheap prices in the same place)
romans don't eat in the center... because everybody know it's a lot more
expensive and very often they don't cook that good because of tourists.
obviously if you got plenty of money to spend to enjoy your stay u can
manage as you like...

mine was just a suggestion, because it's used to say that when you're in
rome, do as the romans...

Greetings!
Laura

Old June 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM
il_joke

I think that 2 months would not be enough to view everything in Rome,
however you may think to book a tour which can provide to takes you
around the most important archeological areas.
try here
http://www.roma-hotels.com/Rome-tours/Tours-of-rome.htm

an other useful site could be:
http://www.rome-city-guide.org