Mainz: tourist sites?

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Default Mainz: tourist sites?

I will be travelling North from Bavaria to Cologne by train.
I am looking for a suitable 1-day stopover to break the journey.

I have been to Frankfurt before (its approximately half way).
What about Mainz? Anything of interest for the tourist?

Bruce

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Thomas

I will be travelling North from Bavaria to Cologne by train.
I am looking for a suitable 1-day stopover to break the journey.

I have been to Frankfurt before (its approximately half way).
What about Mainz? Anything of interest for the tourist?

I was there last week for a day. There is nothing extraordinary to see, but
is a pretty little town to while away a day wandering around with numerous
interesting little shops and lots of cafes.

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Turan Fettahoglu

I have been to Frankfurt before (its approximately half way).
What about Mainz? Anything of interest for the tourist?

Mainz is a state capital, so you should find more than one decent hotel. If
you are from overseas, any small town in the Rhine valley between Bingen and
Koblenz might be more picturesque and more interesting than a larger city.
Rüdesheim is famous for good wine, especially the Drosselgasse, but very
touristy and a rip-off. Or do you want to see the Loreley? Visit
http://www.mittelrhein-portal.de/por...ombo&Itemid=38
and look for a "Gasthof".

The Rhine valley has been added to the World Heritage places.
Have a nice journey!

Turan

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Alan \(in Brussels\)

In the message ups.com...
wrote:

I will be travelling North from Bavaria to Cologne by train.
I am looking for a suitable 1-day stopover to break the journey.

I have been to Frankfurt before (its approximately half way).
What about Mainz? Anything of interest for the tourist?

The official tourist site for Mainz (English section) at URL :
http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/dest...s_mainz_e.html
has a selection of tourist sights, notably the Gutenberg museum:
http://www.gutenberg.de/english/index.htm

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Alec

wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be travelling North from Bavaria to Cologne by train.
I am looking for a suitable 1-day stopover to break the journey.

I have been to Frankfurt before (its approximately half way).
What about Mainz? Anything of interest for the tourist?

Mainz, like Frankfurt, was heavily bombed in the last war and rebuilt. But
parts of the old town still remains, and the areas around the cathedral
(Dom) are pleasant. Dom is worth a look, a Romanesque building. Gutenberg
Museum, as mentioned, is also interesting, and contains one of the extant
copies of the said Bible. Though of little interest to tourists, Mainz is
known to Germans as the home of the ZDF, the second state TV channel, with
its cute mascots, the Mainzelmännchen (after the legendary Heinzelmännchen).
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/18/0,...039602,00.html

Alec

Old June 14th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I am travelling Bamberg-Koeln.

Wurzburg is only 1 hr out of Bamberg.
Stuttgart is a little out of the way (going West rather than North).

Bruce