Transylvania

Old December 18th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Nick Name

Default Transylvania

who can tell me something more about transylvania? i'm interested in
everything about this region.

information about following items would be very helpful to me:

* Tîrgoviste
* Curtea de Arges
* Arefu
* Sibiu
* Alba Iulia
* Cluj-Napoca
* Tihuta
* Bistrita
* Tîrgu Mures
* Sighisoara
* Bran
* Brasov
* Snagov (nearby Bucarest)

I'm also very interested in places of interest that has anything to do
with Vlad Tepes, alias Dracula. What do I have to visit if I'm
interested in Dracula?

thanks for the speedy reply
i hope i hear from you all soon
Old December 26th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Dan

Hi Nick,

Saw your message on Dec 18 on rec.travel. I have travelled extensively
in Romania and know many of the places you mention below. Transylvania
is the most interesting region of Romania, largely because of the
mountains and history. Here is what I can tell you.

who can tell me something more about transylvania? i'm interested in
everything about this region.

information about following items would be very helpful to me:

* Tîrgoviste
* Curtea de Arges
* Arefu

* Sibiu-----Interesting city with great middle ages centru with a
visitors center there. You can find cheap housing there. There is also
a gypsy camp nearby but you will have to hire a cab to take you there.
Good for 1 day, no more.

* Alba Iulia

* Cluj-Napoca----I studied 6 weeks there. Great city. The centru is
cool. Has a church there that looks a lot like the famous Black Church
in Brasov. Major cultural events going on there too. Part of the old
wall around the old city is still there and is interesting but you
have to look for it. Tailor's bastion is interesting but you can't go
in it. Pharmacy museum and ethnographic museums are worth a look. Also
there is a village museum there that is very nice, but if you have
seen the one in Bucharest and are limited on time you could miss it.
If you go there let me know. I have some friends who can put you up
for cheap.

* Tihuta

* Bistrita---In the Hungarian area of Romania. Have not been there but
I hear it is very nice.

* Tîrgu Mures---A nice city. Some beautiful architecture there. Worth
a look but if you are limited on time you could easily pass it up.

* Sighisoara---One of the pearls of transylvania. Fascinating place
but if you go there the last weekend in July you will likely be
disappointed. Normally the town is very picturesque and it is easy to
imagine life in the days of Vlad Tepes, who was born there and you can
have a drink in his house, which is now a restaurant. The clock tower
is a must to go up in and the other museums too. But the last week in
July is the Midieval Festival which attracts every gothic person in
central Europe. The town is over ridden with people. The very narrow
streets are packed with people and trash, bathrooms are scarce and it
pretty much overshadows the festival. Although, I did take lots of
pictures there. It is a great time to watch people. But if you really
want to see the city as it is, go at another time.

* Bran---If you go to Transylvania it is required that you visit
Castle Bran. Though Vlad Tepes probably never spent a night there if
you have read the book Dracula the castle brings it to life. I have no
idea how Stoker could have written that book without ever actually
visiting Transylvania because his descriptions are right on. This is
also one of the few places to get souvenirs. Try to stay in Bran.
There are very interesting things to do.

* Brasov---A beautiful city. Another of the pearls. You can take a van
there from Bucharest across from the train station that will be faster
than the train and more often.

You didn't mention Sinaia. A good 3-4 days can be spent in Brasov,
Sinaia (castle peles and pelesor), and Bran. Also, there is a
fascinating area north and east of Cluj called Maramures. This is
where the old wooden churches are. Many of the people there speak
Hungarian and dress in traditional dress. I tood a train to Baia Mare
from Cluj and was able to hire a driver and guide for $35 for the day
to take me there.

If you need more information feel free to contact me.

Dan