Insurance

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dory Samuels

Default Insurance

We never bothered with insurance as all our past cruises (22) have been
in the caribbean and we have been in good health. However we booked a
transatlantic for next April and decided to take the insurance that was
offered. Now I realize I don't really know what this covers and I will
check with our travel agent. He explained it to me but I wasn't paying
a lot of attention at the time. We are now going to book another long
and expensive cruise starting in Barcelona and will be taking out
insurance. Where do you experienced cruisers go for your insurance? We
are (thankfully) still in good health but at 67 & 74 anything could
happen. So we would want medical and trip cancellation/return home.
Where do I start or do I just go along with the travel agents advice?

~~DORY~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

"Dory Samuels" wrote in message
We never bothered with insurance as all our past cruises (22) have been
in the caribbean and we have been in good health. However we booked a
transatlantic for next April and decided to take the insurance that was
offered. Now I realize I don't really know what this covers and I will
check with our travel agent. He explained it to me but I wasn't paying
a lot of attention at the time. We are now going to book another long
and expensive cruise starting in Barcelona and will be taking out
insurance. Where do you experienced cruisers go for your insurance? We
are (thankfully) still in good health but at 67 & 74 anything could
happen. So we would want medical and trip cancellation/return home.
Where do I start or do I just go along with the travel agents advice?

Your TA should have some sort of brochure or something to show you your
coverage.
We received the premium insurance from Princess for the basic insurance
price as a perk for being platinum now.
We took the insurance because I have an 87 year old mother and 70 year old
sis-in-law. If something happens to one of them we are covered for missing
the cruise.
They also cover luggage and a lot of other stuff.
A few years ago we almost missed a cruise because my other sister-in-law was
on life support and her husband could not decide to let her go. We
eventually went to the funeral, got home on Wednesday, packed on Thursday
and flew out to San Juan on Friday.
If my wife had decided not to take the cruise due to bereavement even on
Saturday after the funeral we were told by the insurance company she did not
have to go and we were 100% covered for additonal expenses to change our
cruise dates.
We always take the insurance. It is always under $150 and it is cheap as far
as our experiences.

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/8/2007 2:52 PM Jr. consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
[...]

I am not 100% sure of this, but I believe Consumer Reports covered Trip
and MedEvac Insurance recently. You might want to check it out at your
local library's periodical index or subscribe to CU Online and do an
online search at their website.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_1_]

Dory Samuels wrote:
We never bothered with insurance as all our past cruises (22) have been
in the caribbean and we have been in good health. However we booked a
transatlantic for next April and decided to take the insurance that was
offered. Now I realize I don't really know what this covers and I will
check with our travel agent. He explained it to me but I wasn't paying
a lot of attention at the time. We are now going to book another long
and expensive cruise starting in Barcelona and will be taking out
insurance. Where do you experienced cruisers go for your insurance? We
are (thankfully) still in good health but at 67 & 74 anything could
happen. So we would want medical and trip cancellation/return home.
Where do I start or do I just go along with the travel agents advice?

~~DORY~~
________ / /___/ /___/ /_________
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want the full meal deal. Medical and trip interruption especially at
your age, no offense intended.

Boy have you guys been rolling the dice. 22 cruises and no issues. All
you need is one semi-major accident and you could empty your savings,
all for the want of a couple hundred bucks when you're likely spending
10 to 15 times more than that on the cruise. I never did understand that
type of risk taking. I could understand if it was in the thousands of
dollars but man you guys are one lucky couple.

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

"Lee" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:11:50 -0300, Mike wrote:

Boy have you guys been rolling the dice. 22 cruises and no issues. All
you need is one semi-major accident and you could empty your savings,
all for the want of a couple hundred bucks when you're likely spending
10 to 15 times more than that on the cruise. I never did understand that
type of risk taking. I could understand if it was in the thousands of
dollars but man you guys are one lucky couple.

Cruises are independent events. If you didn't have a heart attack
during 21 cruises, you are no more or less likely to have one on
your 22nd cruise.

--
- Lee

If you were 52 when you took the first one and 74 now, think again.

Old October 9th, 2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_2_]

"Lee" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:38:59 -0500, "Jr." wrote:

If you were 52 when you took the first one and 74 now, think again.

Cruises are independent events. I'm sorry you can't grasp the
concept.

--
- Lee

So you think a person is in better health at 74 than they were at 52?

I am 60 and not in the shape or energy of when I was 38.

Old October 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mike[_1_]

Lee wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:11:50 -0300, Mike wrote:

Boy have you guys been rolling the dice. 22 cruises and no issues. All
you need is one semi-major accident and you could empty your savings,
all for the want of a couple hundred bucks when you're likely spending
10 to 15 times more than that on the cruise. I never did understand that
type of risk taking. I could understand if it was in the thousands of
dollars but man you guys are one lucky couple.

Cruises are independent events. If you didn't have a heart attack
during 21 cruises, you are no more or less likely to have one on
your 22nd cruise.

Agreed but if you have a heart attack at home one does not need to worry
about airlifts, care at a very expensive "hospital" on a cruise ship
(one that demands cash btw) or care in a foreign country.
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

I used to do likewise years ago until I gave it some thought & although my
medical insurance covers me even out of the country it doesn't provide
coverage for evacuation from the ship- I wouldn't care to estimate how much
it would be compared to the insurance premium.
Try going to http://www.csatravelprotection.com/ - If you enter zero for the
total trip cost you get a price which might surprise you with the low cost
for basic coverage. Another good web site is http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Old October 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Barbara[_2_]

Check out the insurance page on my website. I have a PDF file that
compares companies. It is outdated a bit but I'll be updating it soon as
our next cruise is next July. But you can use it to compare on your own.
Just go to each companies website and do the research. It is important
and there are differences. For example, many years ago we were afraid
one of us would get laid off. Some companies allow that as a reason to
cancel.

http://www.bapcentral.com/cins.html

By the way, good health doesn't mean you won't have to cancel. I hurt my
back lifting Christmas decorations a week before one cruise. I was in
terrible pain for days and we couldn't make the trip. Thanks to trip
cancellation insurance we didn't lose anything.

--
Barbara
http://www.bapcentral.com

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

I recommend checking with TravelGuard at http://www.travelguard.com. I
personally suggest that just about everyone has some type of trip insurance.
Of course, the length of your trip and destination(s) will have a bearing on
your final decision. However, opting for no insurance at all, is certainly
gambling with the odds and situation. I don't think most logical thinking
people would feel the same way about their car insurance.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency No. 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com