Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

Old December 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Default Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

I was checking into a hotel in Reno the other day, when I noticed the
guy in front of me was carrying a full size crock pot with him. Someone
in the elevator was carrying a rice cooker, and when I was checking out
I saw someone carrying in toaster-oven (or so the box said).

Like most hotel guests, I've heated up leftovers wrapped in foil using
the iron, or used the in-room coffee maker to warm up canned soup, but I
never realized how many people are doing in-room cooking.

Of course when I got home I Googled "hotel room cooking" and found
instructions on how to cook bacon on the iron, and steam vegetables in
the coffee maker, but I also found a lot of stories about how people
bring in small appliances to enable them to cook in their rooms.
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 01:32:34 -0800 SMS ??? ?
wrote:

:I was checking into a hotel in Reno the other day, when I noticed the
:guy in front of me was carrying a full size crock pot with him. Someone
:in the elevator was carrying a rice cooker, and when I was checking out
:I saw someone carrying in toaster-oven (or so the box said).

:Like most hotel guests, I've heated up leftovers wrapped in foil using
:the iron, or used the in-room coffee maker to warm up canned soup, but I
:never realized how many people are doing in-room cooking.

:Of course when I got home I Googled "hotel room cooking" and found
:instructions on how to cook bacon on the iron, and steam vegetables in
:the coffee maker, but I also found a lot of stories about how people
:bring in small appliances to enable them to cook in their rooms.

If you drive? Why not?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old December 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Like most hotel guests, I've heated up leftovers wrapped in foil using
the iron, or used the in-room coffee maker to warm up canned soup

I doubt if "most" hotel guests are doing that, but I'm sure it happens
occasionally.

In terms of taking appliances (rice cooker, crock pot etc), it would
obviously be more difficult if you're traveling by plane, but on a car
trip it wouldn't be that hard. I suspect that it's more common in less-
expensive places where you've got folks traveling on very tight
budgets.

I've certainly eaten many times in hotel rooms, but if the room
doesn't have a kitchenette I usually stick to food that doesn't need
any special preparation, like cereal, fruit, etc.

James
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

wrote:

In terms of taking appliances (rice cooker, crock pot etc), it would
obviously be more difficult if you're traveling by plane, but on a car
trip it wouldn't be that hard. I suspect that it's more common in less-
expensive places where you've got folks traveling on very tight
budgets.

Well this was no Motel 6. It was the old Hilton, now the Grand Sierra
Resort, which ranges from $40-150 depending on the dates and room type.

I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the hotel
restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants on the bottom
floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby. We had really good
Pho one night at a Vietnamese place in the shopping center with the
Sierra Trading Post Outlet store. On the way home from skiing one day we
bought a pizza at Costco, and ate 2/3 of it there, but had some left for
breakfast. I wrapped it in foil and heated it on the iron.

I don't think it's always a budget issue that causes people to not want
to go out to restaurants. In Yosemite, the food service is exceptionally
bad as they've shut down restaurants due to dwindling visitation. They
have a truly horrible cafeteria, and a very expensive steak house, but
the in-between places are gone. They have a grocery store right in
Yosemite Valley that isn't terribly overpriced, so it's really easy to
do in-room cooking.
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I don't think it's always a budget issue

That's true. Sometimes it's just more convenient and can save time,
plus you can bring the food you like.

Last time I was in Vegas I stayed at a pretty expensive hotel, but
also kept food in my room (fruit, etc) because the hotel was so big it
took 10 minutes just to get down to the lobby!

James
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Old December 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Old December 27th, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Salt-Free healthy restaurants do exist in most large towns. Some are
completely vegetarian.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"BrianK" wrote in message
On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made these
writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Salt-Free healthy restaurants do exist in most large towns. Some are
completely vegetarian.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"

But easier to make a couple of healthy meals in your kitchenette.