Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Peer

Default Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

I want to purchase a rolling carry-on. Just before I clicked on the
Rick Steves 21-inch Roll-Aboard,

http://tinyurl.com/lw8m

I saw that the comments section for this item at amazon.com states the
bag is in actuality 22" H and that disallows use of this bag as carry-on
on, among other airlines, British Air, Air Canada, etc..

So I went over to the llbean.com web site, usually a manufacturer of
quality luggage, only to find the same problem--22" was the height of
most of their rolling carry-on bags!

Did some airlines just change from 22" or more to 21" recently?

In any case, are there suggestions for a rolling carry-on bag that meets
the requirements of most airlines?

Thanks!

Peer
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Tom P[_5_]

Peer wrote:
I want to purchase a rolling carry-on. Just before I clicked on the
Rick Steves 21-inch Roll-Aboard,

http://tinyurl.com/lw8m

I saw that the comments section for this item at amazon.com states the
bag is in actuality 22" H and that disallows use of this bag as carry-on
on, among other airlines, British Air, Air Canada, etc..

So I went over to the llbean.com web site, usually a manufacturer of
quality luggage, only to find the same problem--22" was the height of
most of their rolling carry-on bags!

Did some airlines just change from 22" or more to 21" recently?

In any case, are there suggestions for a rolling carry-on bag that meets
the requirements of most airlines?

Thanks!

Peer

Each piece of hand baggage may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and
may not weigh more than 8 kg. An exception are foldable garment bags.
They count as hand baggage up to a size of 57 x 54 x 15 cm.

55cm = 21.7 inches

I guess a piece of luggage could be 21" or 22" depending whether you
round up or down.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Rog'

"Peer" wrote:
Did some airlines just change from 22" or more to 21" recently?

This list at http://www.luggageonline.com/about_a...s.cfm#airlines
suggests that 22" is acceptable to all of the majors. Delta says:
1. Can't exceed 45 inches (length + width + height).
2. Must fit easily in our SizeWise unit (approx. 22"x14"x9").

But if you want a bag that's 21", check out this one by Atlantic:
http://www.luggageonline.com/product...roduct_ID=6612

BTW, I have yet to see any airling employee pull out a tape
measure. They just seem to eyeball it, and some of the most
absurd stuff gets by them. I suspect that will change as luggage
becomes more of a money maker for the airlines.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Tom P[_5_]

Mister Bartlett wrote:
Tom P wrote:

Peer wrote:

[...]

Note that BA have a weight limit of 23kg for carry-on items.

B;

In the cabin??? It sounds insanely dangerous to me. I just checked
their website and yes, it really says 23kg for handluggage, same as for
checked baggage - "and you must be able to lift the bag into the
overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided"

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
congokid

In article , Tom P
writes

In the cabin??? It sounds insanely dangerous to me. I just checked
their website and yes, it really says 23kg for handluggage, same as for
checked baggage - "and you must be able to lift the bag into the
overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided"

It does sound like a lot. At a guess without measuring it, my Samsonite
Oyster case ought to fit in an overhead locker. Being a hard shell case
it's quite heavy even empty. But packed full of clothes for a holiday it
weighs only about 10-11kg.

Perhaps the high weight limit is for people who put camera equipment and
a laptop in this size of case and carry it on. It wouldn't leave much
room for clothes.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Tom P wrote:

In the cabin??? It sounds insanely dangerous to me. I just checked
their website and yes, it really says 23kg for handluggage, same as for
checked baggage - "and you must be able to lift the bag into the
overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided"

I wonder how strict they are about that? Are flight attendants no
longer available to assist elderly and/or handicapped passengers? What
about able-bodied but short passengers, who can lift the bag but cannot
REACH the overhead bin? (Some of those bins are very high - one of the
occasions when I really miss the two-and-a-half inches I have lost as my
spine compresses with age!)
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
poldy

In article ,
Tom P wrote:

Note that BA have a weight limit of 23kg for carry-on items.

B;

In the cabin??? It sounds insanely dangerous to me. I just checked
their website and yes, it really says 23kg for handluggage, same as for
checked baggage - "and you must be able to lift the bag into the
overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided"

Most other airlines are not that generous. If you pack a laptop, you
use up most of the limit, which is around 11 kg.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
JohnT[_4_]

Tom P wrote:

In the cabin??? It sounds insanely dangerous to me. I just checked their
website and yes, it really says 23kg for handluggage, same as for checked
baggage - "and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers
in the aircraft cabin unaided"

I wonder how strict they are about that? Are flight attendants no longer
available to assist elderly and/or handicapped passengers? What about
able-bodied but short passengers, who can lift the bag but cannot REACH
the overhead bin? (Some of those bins are very high - one of the
occasions when I really miss the two-and-a-half inches I have lost as my
spine compresses with age!)

The full statement on the BA website is:

"one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm
(22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles). In addition, one
laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase. A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight
applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in
the aircraft cabin unaided. NB. Cabin crew will assist customers with
additional needs."
--
JohnT

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Goomba

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I wonder how strict they are about that? Are flight attendants no
longer available to assist elderly and/or handicapped passengers? What
about able-bodied but short passengers, who can lift the bag but cannot
REACH the overhead bin? (Some of those bins are very high - one of the
occasions when I really miss the two-and-a-half inches I have lost as my
spine compresses with age!)

You must have missed this on Gadling-
http://www.gadling.com/2008/07/15/ga...-want-me-to-d/
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel

JohnT wrote:

Tom P wrote:

[...]

Oh well, I didn't realize 23 kg was that heavy - every trip to Europe
has resulted in fewer, lighter bags! Only the first time did I travel
with a solid-frame dress-bag, full-sized suit-case and twenty-inch
carry-on. I wore the formal gown to the Wiener Staatsoper only because
I had it with me, half my wardrobe I never wore at all.... (Amazing how
few "necessary" items proved to be real necessities, even allowing for
something dressy to wear to the opera!)