Try a language holiday?

Old August 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
[email protected]

Default Try a language holiday?

I tried an educational holiday for a change. My typical pattern is to
book a holiday south, see some sun and relax. This is the first time I
did something like this and it was pretty good.

I went to Frankfurt, Germany and had 4 weeks of basic classes. Classes
were in the morning so it left me time to do tourist stuff and I met
lots of other foreign people. I was totally concerned about doing
"work" during my holiday but the classes were ok and the homework was
minimal.

There were lots of students doing basic and afternoon classes but they
seemed to have a purpose for doing so. My class had a good mix of
people, a Russian, a Mexican, a Japanese, and a few Europeans.

Ok so I was mostly a beginner and I think I suck at languages, which
means I only know English and have never really tried to learn another
language. I think being in the country that speaks the language is a
huge motivator and taking a train and doing everyday stuff helped to
learn.

I went here http://www.sprachcaffe.com/english/s...kfurt/main.htm
but I know there are plenty of schools around because when I was
looking for a school I checked out quite a few of them.

Would I do it again? Yeah probably.

I would recommend learning the basics of the language on your own
(numbers, basic words, basic learning guide) because anyone can learn
some of the simple basics on their own. Don't waste the course on the
basics, use them for the real learning.
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
Bert Hyman

)
wrote in
:

I tried an educational holiday for a change.

Oh. I thought you meant a holiday where you didn't talk.

I went here
http://www.sprachcaff

You went there? Apparently, you stayed there and adopted its name as
your own.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |