Koh Lanta beaches

Old October 20th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Sean Jordan

Default Koh Lanta beaches

Hi everybody!

I posted several weeks ago on this newsgroup and received a great deal of
useful advice about where I should go in late January for a 9-day holiday.
The winner: Koh Lanta in the Andaman Sea.

And now, to try and get some extremely specific advice:

1) What's the nicest-looking beach on Koh Lanta?
2) Where's the best swimming on Koh Lanta?
3) Where is the best "scene" on Koh Lanta's western shore, not including the
congestion in the north end near Saladan where the new resorts are being
built? We'd like to have easy walking access to a handful of beachside
bars/restaurants/mat bars/etc. But not too much tourist tat.
4) The mountainous stuff in the south -- are those beaches more interesting
than the straight one in the centre? And is it "dead" down there -- i.e.
does it seem deserted?
5) If you could narrow 1, 2, and 3 down to one specific area, could you go
so far as to recommend a specific resort/bungalow? We're six late-20's
people who don't necessarily need to skimp and go for the cheapest
accomodations. Big beds with crisp white sheets are always good. However,
the idea of living in a ramshackle bamboo bungalow or treehouse is quite
appealing, and A/C isn't a necessity.

Thanks in advance if anybody has any advice!

Sean Jordan

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:13 AM
Patrick

"Sean Jordan" wrote in message ...
[...]

Sean.
I agree with your choice of Koh Lanta. I was there earlier this year
for a few days and it was my favorite island in that area. I stayed at
the "Lanta Sand Resort" at the top end of Long Beach(Phra-Ae Beach)
for 400B per night, and would recommend it. Their vehicle meets the
boat from Phi-Phi Island at Saladan Village and offers a free ride to
the resort which is about 3-4 kms away. It is a clean and friendly
resort on the beach and within walking distance to most of the evening
action. The beach is nothing fantastic but neither is the more
upmarket Khlong Dao Beach. You can also rent motorcycles from the
resort for 250B/24hrs, and they are not bothered about driving
licenses. The only place worth visiting at Khlong Dao Beach is the
Otto's Bar/restaurant which has a good atmosphere and reasonable
prices/food. There are many beachside bars/restaurants along the top
half of Long Beach, with western music and very laid back atmosphere,
especially in the evenings. A day trip around the island on a rented
motorcycle is the best way to see the island, although the roads
deteriorate nearer the south/west end. The waterfall is not so good
but the 40 min walk to it through the jungle is okay. The National
Park at the bottom of the island is expensive and mostly offshore,
requiring additional hiring of boats. The caves are the best trip, a
bit expensive at 200B but that does include the guide...which you must
have. The resorts south of Long Beach may be also okay to stay in, but
they are quite isolated at night and away from the action at Long
Beach.
Enjoy your stay.
Patrick
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:17 PM
Sean Jordan

Hi,

Thanks so much for your advice! This is exactly the sort of information I
need.

Could I ask you, or anybody else, five more specific questions:

- One of the coolest things I saw on Koh Samui were those "mat bars" where
they lay out carpets and pillows right on the sand. And then they put
Portishead or BoC or similar downbeat mood music on constant rotation and
the entire effect is pretty freaking cool. Do they have those on Long Beach?

- If the Long Beach beach is "nothing fantastic," as you say, where are the
truly fantastic beaches on Koh Lanta?

- What else is in the neighbourhood? We'll be there for six full days and
once we get suntans and see the waterfall / caves / national park we might
get a bit fidgety. Would a day trip to the Phi Phi islands, or perhaps
staying in Krabi on the way out, be worthwhile? What sucks and what doesn't?

- Kind of a sensitive question here, but exactly "how" Muslim is Koh Lanta?
The reason why I ask is because I had a not-so-fun experience in Istanbul a
few years back when I stayed at a friend's house right next to a mosque and
every morning at 5am the calls to prayers blared. Are Koh Lanta's beachside
bungalows subject to the same thing, or are you generally far away enough
from it to not be woken up?

- Treehouses: a good idea, or a bad idea?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Sean Jordan

m...

Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:25 AM
Patrick

Yes, there are a number of "mat bars" at the north end of Long Beach,
and they will play any type of music you wish to request, but if you
have something specific in mind it may be best to take along your
favorite CDs for them to play. You can also rest in a hammocks at some
of the bars. Old Rock and Roll is often played but it depends on the
requests from the customers....Bob Dylan was popular at one of the
bars!
Perhaps I am a little cruel to say their beach is "nothing fantastic",
because I live on Boracay Island in the Philippines which has a world
famous "White Beach".....so my standard of "good beaches" is quite
high. On my motorcycle ride down the West Coast the beaches become
more rocky but there were some nice looking sandy coves which could be
good for a day out.
Yes, a trip to Phi-Phi to visit the nearby island where "The Beach"
was filmed would be worthwhile,in fact it is quite stunning, with a
couple of days added to experience this very commercial
island(Phi-Phi), but if you don't like package tours and, as you say,
"tourist tat", best avoid it. Accommodation costs are outrageous
compared to Phuket or Lanta. I think there are day trips from Saladan
to a number of islands, including Phi-Phi.
A day just hanging about Saladan Village, eating, drinking, and
shopping would be pleasant enough. Elephant rides in the jungle are
available, and you can use them to visit the Waterfall, which
incidentally had no water when I visited there. I have no idea on the
costs of elephant rides, but I did experience their "very large
residues"along some jungle tracks.
Krabi has nothing to offer, except to catch up on some shopping, but
you need to pass by there on the way to Ao Nang Beach, which is okay
for a couple of days. A 15 min boat ride will take you to Tham Phra
Nang Beach which has an excellent beach. But you will need to cope
with the many Bangladeshi owned tailor shops trying to sell you a
tailor-made business suit....just what you need to get you through the
rest of your holiday!
No need to fear any "Muslem activities", and I can't remember even
seeing a Mosque. The only noise in the morning at your beach bungalow
will be from the roosters, or amorous neighbours!
And finally, treehouses are for monkeys, Sean, but I do know that
Irishmen can behave a little strange at times when on holiday....I
have Irish ancestry also.
Patrick.

[...]

m...