American girlfriend willing to settle in the UK

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default American girlfriend willing to settle in the UK

William Black wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message

I'm told that if you put your application in at this end and make an
appointment it only takes a day as well,

Yet you said to the OP it would take up to 2 months.

I could have sworn I said 'up to 2 months'...

That's what I swore you said too.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:02:24 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

William Black wrote:

[]
I can't get my head around people who think that having your own
currency is a good thing for no very good reason except some sort of
fear.

You should remember that not everyone who has the euro now thinks it was
a great thing- it definitely put up prices in much of Europe, and not
everyone in Europe is travelling all the time.

So what put up prices in UK?

Not the euro- that would probably have meant a bigger increase. But
everything is high here, including wages- which is one reason that so
many Europeans seem to want to work and live here at the moment. As I
said, I'd be perfectly happy if everything here had to be priced in
pounds and euros. It would certainly make things easier for the number
of Spaniards, and Germand and French speakers I bumped into in the shops
today.

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:02:24 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

William Black wrote:

"Magda" magda@eu wrote in message
On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:02:09 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, "William
Black"
arranged some electrons, so they looked
like
this:

... My wife needs a Schengen visa to visit Schengen countries.

The wife of a french man won't need it.

... She has a UK residential visa.

Sign the Schengen agreements!

(Like that's gonna happen in my lifetime...)

I wish.

And the Euro as well.

I can't get my head around people who think that having your own
currency is
a good thing for no very good reason except some sort of fear.

You should remember that not everyone who has the euro now thinks it was
a great thing- it definitely put up prices in much of Europe, and not
everyone in Europe is travelling all the time.

So what put up prices in UK?

Greed?

Prices here are noticeably higher than in most of the rest of Europe.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"Mister Bartlett" wrote in message

[]
Yep - fear of being taxed in the UK to pay for financial mismanagement
in, say, Greece.

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain how a common currency will
cause
that.

And why, for example, the French and the Germans don't seem to share
your
views.

You've got a good sense of humour, I'll say that.

Endless patience with the hard of thinking mate.

If they're bright enough to work a computer they should be bright enough for
some sort of re-education...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:26:35 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:02:24 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

William Black wrote:

[]
I can't get my head around people who think that having your own
currency is a good thing for no very good reason except some sort of
fear.

You should remember that not everyone who has the euro now thinks it was
a great thing- it definitely put up prices in much of Europe, and not
everyone in Europe is travelling all the time.

So what put up prices in UK?

Not the euro- that would probably have meant a bigger increase.

I doubt it. Prices in England have already gone up far more than they have in
the Netherlands, for instance.

And the euro would have simply given a reason for more of an increase.

But
everything is high here, including wages- which is one reason that so
many Europeans seem to want to work and live here at the moment.

Having a high wage isn't such a good thing, if things like accommodation
eats up a large chunk of the salary.

It doesn't tend to bother them, as they can keep accommodation costs
fairly low- usually renting with several people in a house.

I don't want to get into the housing market debate, but if people want
to pay stupid prices for properties, then that's their problem.

Plenty of British people are more than happy to work in mainland Europe.

As I'm sure you know, the traffic is much heavier in this direction at
the moment. And they're not all from Poland.

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:31:06 GMT, "William Black"
wrote:

[]
Prices here are noticeably higher than in most of the rest of Europe.

and getting noticeably higher all the time.

Noticeably higher- I don't know, but whatever, the distinct advantage of
that is that when I go to most of Europe, prices seem lower.

Old May 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 22:52:28 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 21:31:06 GMT, "William Black"
wrote:

[]
Prices here are noticeably higher than in most of the rest of Europe.

and getting noticeably higher all the time.

Noticeably higher- I don't know, but whatever, the distinct advantage of
that is that when I go to most of Europe, prices seem lower.

In the long term the pound is going to die, there is nothing of any substance
behind the value of the pound.

Why don't people spend endless threads debating the Swedish of Danish
Krone? I really don't care whether we have pounds or not as matter of
principle.

Every time we go to England, the prices have gone up, where as at home prices
are stable. I suspect that the UK inflation figures are being fudged just like
they were around 30 years ago.

It always seems more expensive to me when I visit NL, and I notice
prices going up most places I travel to infrequently.

Old May 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message

Why don't people spend endless threads debating the Swedish of Danish
Krone? I really don't care whether we have pounds or not as matter of
principle.

But an awful lot of people do.

The pound is an international currency.

It has suffered something of a revival since the US invaded Iraq.

If the pound was gotten rid of and we used the Euro then the Euro would
almost certainly become the premier currency in the world and eclipse the
dollar in a couple of years.

--
William Black

Time for tea.