Digital Cameras in Europe - how?

Old January 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Olivers

Default Digital Cameras in Europe - how?

Owain muttered....

Walk into a photographic shop or internet cafe and ask if they can
transfer your photos onto CD-ROM.

In the UK, Jessops with 225 stores do "Up to 100 images from your
digital media to CD from GBP1.99"
http://www.jessops.com/info/dp/index...tingservices.h
tm&st yle=
And they do accept MemorySticks.

(And for security, get two CD-ROMs made, keep one with you and mail
the other home.)

.....Had no problem at all with that approach recently in Italy, and
Volterra was the only place where finding an "internet cafe" or similar was
difficult. In venice, there seemed to be one at every turning...

TMO
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Maxixe

I am not sure what kind of memory card you use and I am certainly no
expert in digital photography but I know for our Olympus Camedia we
use a Smartcard and I have one card that only holds about 24 pictures
and another which we used when we traveled in Scandinavia that held
about 200! Adequate for our one week stay.
We didn't adjust the resolution but I think you can do that too to fit
in more.

OT but bears reminding:

Be very careful of theft! Nothing sucks more than to have your camera
stolen on a memorable trip. The digital cameras of course are easy to
steal because of their compact size and we have already had one stolen
(in New York, not Europe). In Spain and Morocco I had brought a
regular 35mm camera and was constantly catching someone about to lift
it from my shoulder or from a seat near me when leaving a bus/train,
etc. One guy I was able to grab by the arm as he reached inside my
camera bag and gave him a good digging with my fingernails but he got
away anyway.
Be wary in places you would be easily distracted or high traffic -
about to board or leave a bus, trains, just about anywhere! And never
leave it in a hotel room unattended.

Owlman wrote in message . ..
I'm increasingly using my digital camera for all my photography, but
when I consider going to Europe (possibly for as long as 2 months), I
have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures. There's no way I can afford to buy Memory Sticks sufficient
for a trip of this duration. When we travel in the U.S. in our RV, I
normally just download my pics to my laptop, but we won't be taking a
laptop to Europe (going Eurail).

How are others coping with this dilemma? Or are you?

Thanx much for your help.

Old January 18th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 18/1/04 3:52 pm, in article
, "Rejnold Byzio"
wrote:

"Jeremy Henderson" :

Or you could use the excuse to buy an iPod and media-reader!

You'll need a computer in between.

Not if you have an iPod with a dock connector:

http://tinyurl.com/r773

J;

Old January 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM
i_b_one

Unless you're snapping pictures every two minutes, use your camera in rapid fire mode or have it
set for maximum resolution, a card of 256MB (about $80) holds, for me at least, about 400
pictures, and last quite a long time. Since you're going to be there for two months, get a
couple and if they fill up, download them, as has been suggested by others, to a CD.

Old January 18th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Bob Fusillo

Default Digital - or any -Cameras in Europe

We all have different picture taking habits. I used to be a pro
photographer, and am quite liberal in my snapping when I travel. On several
recent 5 week trips I took three 128 cards, shot on the lowest resolution
( assuming that I would be looking at them on the computer), annoyed my wife
for taking "so damn many pictures," ( maybe 7 - 800) and didn't even get to
the second card. On the computer, they look fine.
When a friend admired one and wanted to blow it up to put on her wall, there
were problems -- not much enlargement possibilites there.
Comment -- I took several hundred pix of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth
in 1953. She waved at me several times. I realized later, tho, that I saw
the whole thing only thru the camera. There is something to be said for real
life.
rjf

Old January 18th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Hi,

I cope with it by finalizing the cd in my sony mavica and putting in a
new cd.

for the more than casual domestic traveler the sony disk based models
(first 1.44 FD models and now compact cd's and dvd's) are GREAT for the
serious traveler... you can buy floppies anyplace and the compact cd's
hold so many pics a spare box tossed in your luggage will hold 20,000 or
so pics at 640*480 (less at higher resolution of course but we've NEVER
filled up a cd except shooting movies).

--
= Derringer Kit Sideplates =

Old January 18th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Owlman wrote:

I'm increasingly using my digital camera for all my photography, but
when I consider going to Europe (possibly for as long as 2 months), I
have no idea how I would be able to download and store my digital
pictures. There's no way I can afford to buy Memory Sticks sufficient
for a trip of this duration. When we travel in the U.S. in our RV, I
normally just download my pics to my laptop, but we won't be taking a
laptop to Europe (going Eurail).

How are others coping with this dilemma? Or are you?

Thanx much for your help.

Lots of camera stores will download to a CD. It was about 10 Euro to do
this in Florence last summer. We had a laptop and so downloaded and
burned to disk as we went along -- but we had the laptop for work we
were doing -- I wouldn't bother lugging one as a tourist. the cost to
have the camera downloaded and put on disk is worth not having the
hassle of carrying the computer.

One of these shops was located right in the square around the Duomo and
I am sure there are others.

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:43 AM
Mxsmanic

Guy Robinson writes:

In the UK a lot of places are starting to offer printing facilities
straight from memory cards and this probably extends to most of
Europe.

If your only goal is to obtain prints, it's cheaper to shoot film.