Acceptability of Short Pants in Italy?

Old May 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
B Vaughan

Default Acceptability of Short Pants in Italy?

On Fri, 14 May 2004 07:32:39 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

The Reids wrote:
Following up to Miguel Cruz
But people do more-or-less adhere to the "putter along on right right,
walk with purpose on the left" rule. Sadly not all of the staircases are
wide enough of for those of us who prefer a running lane.

Do you think this regimentation of walking in US comes from the
high level of car use from an early age?

In New York, it comes from a desire on the part of slower people not to get
run down by those in a hurry. In Skinnerian fashion they have learned that
it's safer on the right than in the middle. It can't be a driving thing
since most people in NYC rarely or never drive.

I would say that since this "regimentation" is seen mostly in
Manhattan and maybe a few other large cities, it certainly has nothing
to do with car use. Manhattan probably has the lowest level of car use
in the US.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:34 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:32:56 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Miguel Cruz

. It can't be a driving thing
since most people in NYC rarely or never drive.

not even when they are not in NYC?

Most people who live in NYC don't even own a car. Maybe they
occasionally rent one when outside the city. Almost the only adult
Americans I've ever known who don't know how to drive are New Yorkers.

-----------
Old May 14th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

Following up to Miguel Cruz

. It can't be a driving thing
since most people in NYC rarely or never drive.

not even when they are not in NYC?

Most people who live in NYC don't even own a car. Maybe they
occasionally rent one when outside the city. Almost the only adult
Americans I've ever known who don't know how to drive are New Yorkers.

NYC consists of 5 boroughs, car ownership varies
considerably from borough to borough

The figures for 2000 were

Borough % with zero vehicles
All 5 54%
Manhattan 77%
Bronx 60%
Brooklyn 54%
Queens 34%
Staten Island 20%

Keith

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Padraig Breathnach

B wrote:

Most people who live in NYC don't even own a car. Maybe they
occasionally rent one when outside the city. Almost the only adult
Americans I've ever known who don't know how to drive are New Yorkers.

Whereas there are many adult Italians who don't know how to drive, but
own cars.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:19:09 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

In ,
B Vaughan typed:

Most people who live in NYC don't even own a car.

That may be true of most of those who live in Manhattan, but in
my experience it's not true of those who live in the other
boroughs.

According to the statistics posted, it's true of 3 of the 5 boroughs
(all except Queens and Staten Island)..

-----------
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
B Vaughan typed:

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:19:09 -0700, "Ken Blake"
wrote:

In ,
B Vaughan typed:

Most people who live in NYC don't even own a car.

That may be true of most of those who live in Manhattan, but in
my experience it's not true of those who live in the other
boroughs.

According to the statistics posted, it's true of 3 of the 5

boroughs
(all except Queens and Staten Island)..

Yes, I saw those statistics after I sent my message.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

Whereas there are many adult Italians who don't know how to drive, but
own cars.

I see the carabinari are taking delivery of a small fleet of
Lamborghinis for high speed pursuit and doner organ movement.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso