Oldest castles in southern Germany?

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default Oldest castles in southern Germany?

In article ,
"Tim C." wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:44:49 -0600, Dan Stephenson wrote in post :
news:2008112321444916807-stephedanospam@maccom :

Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

Thanks, please post

Hohenzollern?
The Burg ruins at Teck near in the Swabian Alps near Stuttgart.

The only part of what's on top of the hill Hohenzollern is on that's
actually old is a chapel.

There are many great castle ruins in the Swabian Alps. Hohenurach is a
nice one.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2008-11-24, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

(Strictly speaking, "south of Frankfurt" is Baden-Württemberg. Bavaria
is south-east)

One place you should check out is Falkenstein near Pfronten. Not so much
for the ruin, but for the setting.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,

On 2008-11-24, Dan Stephenson wrote:
Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

(Strictly speaking, "south of Frankfurt" is Baden-Württemberg. Bavaria
is south-east)

One place you should check out is Falkenstein near Pfronten. Not so much
for the ruin, but for the setting.

Baden-Württenberg, partcularly Swabia, is full of old castles and some
really lovely ruins. I've visited many of them, but I'm too tired to
pull out one of my books and throw in a list tonight. Hohenurach is a
nice one, for instance. And further south, I find Hohentwiel more
impressive than Falkenstein.

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Johnnyjenga Johnnyjenga is offline
Member

Location: Lower Hudson Valley, NY

[quote=Dan Stephenson;942077]Hi I am travelled to Germany next year and I'm laying in some planning.

I really like visiting castles, the older the better. I plan to visit
Heidelburg, but I'm looking for your suggestions for others to visit in
the area of southern Germany, south of Frankfurt that is, particular in
Bavaria?

Thanks, please post
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

Hi Dan:

One of the easiest and most relaxing ways to see the castles of Germany is on a Rhine river cruise. Several include visits to Heidelberg as well as the stretch from Rudesheim to Koblenz.

John