San Fransisco weather and outdoory type things to do

Old September 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Jeff Lanam

On 10 Sep 2004 02:43:00 -0700, (David Jones)
wrote:

Hi,

The activities I am interested in are -

Skiing - I know some resorts are open by this time, but it seems very
early to me. Are they just strips of fake snow, or is there real snow
on the top of the mountains this time of year?

It's possible, though it will mostly be man-made snow. Boreal at
Donnar Summit usually opens early.

White water kayaking - I guess water levels are pretty low this time
of year, and finding group going may not be possible.

Unlikely, but people do kayaking in the bay.

Surfing (but not big waves) - Could be good this time of the year? I
heard about half moon bay?

Santa Cruz has a lot of surfing. I don't know details, but I know
that the locals can make visitors unwelcome.

Messing about on the beach, swimming, snorkeling sort of thing - What
sort of temperatures would be expected this time of year? I am from
the UK, so sea temps of 14 C with air temps of over 20 C would be OK
for me.

As previously mentioned, wet suits are a must. Not much snorkling.

Mountain biking and hiking - Not really affected by the weather, but
it is not likely to be raining all day every day is it?

Early November doesn't get much rain. There are a lot of parks in the
East Bay accessible by public transit, and it's likely to be better
weather than SF or the Peninsula. Angel Island State Park is a nice
place to hike if the Bay isn't fogged in.

Any other activeties people can recomend? Any areas I should check
out for any of these? Web sites about this sort of thing?

The Bay Area Orienteering Club has meets Nov 6, 7, 14, and 21. Nov 6&7
we will be hosting the US Long and Short Courses Championships.
www.baoc.org

Bay Area Backcountry
www.hknot.com/bab/bab.html

www.Gorp.com

Thank you for any input.

Old September 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM
David Jones

Thanks for all the points people. There is a lot of info there.

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message ...
Tried one of the ba. groups (e.g. ba.bicycles)?

ba. as in bay area? That is a pretty good and active heirarcy for a
smallish geographical area. I thought we were doing well here in
cambridge with our cam. set of groups.