Advice on Munich?

Old February 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
james

Default Advice on Munich?

I'm headed to Munich and Prague in May for 15 days. After 3-4 days in
Munich and Prague we'll meander through the countryside of the Czech
Republic - perhaps see the university town Brno. Perhaps end up in the
Slovokian capital of Bratislava. If time permits we'll visit Budapest
or Vienna, but we plan on taking our time, so seeing a third large
city isn't a must.

I feel like I've absorbed a lot on Prague (neigbhorhoods, where to
eat, where not too, metro/streetcar lines, etc), but I still seem a
bit blank on Munich. I know it's more than beer. Also would
Neuschwanstein be a good daytrip? Or is this way too crowded.
http://www.neuschwanstein.com/english/

My interests? In addition to seeing museums and architecture I like
basing myself in regular neighborhoods away from the city center. I
can usually find cheaper restaurants, (coffee by day, beer by night).
I love trains, transit, and infrastructure. I'd also LOVE to any
suggestions for an English speaking walking tour in Munich. Any
nightlife ideas for small clubs or dive bars, gay or straight, is
welcome. Also simple logistical tips, i.e. subway cards, bus routes,
train travel, etc.

Anyway done a similar route? Know a restaurant or a coffee shop in a
great neighborhood you really liked? A bar or club that made your
trip? I'd really appreciate it! In addition to stocking up on maps and
books from the library, I've also been perusing and researching these
sites.

www.czechtourism.com
www.prague.cz
wikitravel.org/en/Munich
wikitravel.org/en/Bavaria
RickSteves Site

Thanks VERY much in advance!

james www.futuregringo.com

Old February 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Ellenson

"james" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

We stayed at the Hotel Uhland in Munich which is in more of a neighborhood
than the city center. It is family run and we were pleased with our stay
there. Basic, not expensive, and clean. It is an easy walk from the train
station. See;

http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html

Between the hotel and Marienplatz was a cafe named Szymanski's that had good
food, Spaten on tap and live music some nights. It's near the hauptbahnhof.
The Hofbrauhaus is a touristy beerhall but it was still fun in the evening.
The food there was good too.

We bought a 3 day pass for Munich transport. The pass is good for U-bahn,
S-bahn, busses, and trams anywhere within the central city for 3 full days
after you first use it. To start the 3 day clock ticking you validate the
ticket by getting it time-stamped in a blue ticket machine near the
platform. I think it was 18 euros for the two of us, a bargain. The
Deutsches Museum was very interesting and the Neue Pinakothek Museum is
filled with Impressionist art. There are works from Monet, Manet, Degas,
Lautrec, Van Gogh, Sisley, Cezanne, Gaughan, and the bust of a jester by a
young Picasso. There is a painting by Manet of his friend Monet and his wife
in a boat painting a bridge. Hanging next to it is Monet's painting of the
bridge. There is also a Gustav Klimt, the girl with a starry dress. Across
the street is the Alte Pinakothek. It is the old museum because nothing is
less than 200 years old. The collection here is vast as well. It includes
works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Van Dyck, Frans Hals, El Greco, Boucher,
DaVinci, and Raphael.

The train to Dachau takes about a half hour and the station at Dachau is
small. The info sheet from the Munich tourist office says that buses 724 or
726 go by KZ Gedenkstatte which is near the camp. It is a very moving place
to visit if you can ignore the large groups of schoolchildren who don't
really care what happened here, they just want to goof with their friends.

Salzburg is in the area of your travels and is worth a visit as well. Have a
great trip!

Old February 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Turan Fettahoglu

On top of Stephen's advice:

What about
- Schloss Nymphenburg
- a stroll through downtown Munich, with a visit to the Frauenkirche, watch
the carillon at the town hall at 11am, climb the tower of the Alter Peter,
buy some fruit at the Viktualienmarkt, have lunch at Spöckmeier's, a glass
of beer at Augustiner or a visit to the Karl-Valentin-Musäum. (Karl Valentin
was a very Bavarian comedian.)

Outside Munich:
- Schloss Schleissheim
- Linderhof (near Garmisch)
- Herrenchiemsee (near Prien)
- Starnberger See, especially the chapel at Berg (where Mad King Ludwig was
drowned)

Anyway, even if you stay in Munich for good you'll never see everything that
interests you.

Take your choice!

Old February 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jens Arne Maennig[_2_]

james wrote:

My interests? In addition to seeing museums

What kind of? Deutsches Museum (http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/)
will take you an extra trip, the art museums (http://www.pinakothek.de/
shows just three of them from different era) can also take you some
time, there's also some history
(http://www.bayerisches-nationalmuseum.de/) and many, many more.

and architecture

Old or new stuff or both? The old is all around in the center (funny
copies of Florentine buildings included. Don't miss Asamkirche
(http://tinyurl.com/23vnpk) a fine example of Bavarian rococo. New: The
1972 Olympic stadium (well, new ...) and Herz-Jesu-Kirche
(http://tinyurl.com/2ydrgd).

I like basing myself in regular neighborhoods away from the city center. I
can usually find cheaper restaurants, (coffee by day, beer by night).

If you find a cheaper restaurant in Munich, please drop me a line. I've
only been living here for 19 years and so far I couldn't find one.

I love trains, transit, and infrastructure.

Ride tram #18 from Stachus to Herkomerplatz and tram #17 back to
Stachus. The best way to see some nice areas of town if you have mo
bicycle available.

Also simple logistical tips, i.e. subway cards, bus routes,
train travel, etc.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/index.html

Anyway done a similar route?

Yes, but not to Munich. :-)

Know a restaurant or a coffee shop in a great neighborhood you really
liked? A bar or club that made your trip?

One of my ceremonies of coming back home is having an Aventinus
(http://tinyurl.com/2z3jxu) and a Goaßbratl (some regional food :-) at
Weißes Brauhaus (http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/).

Jens
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alex Cruz

"james" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Definitely do a day trip to Salzburg, Austria.

Old February 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jens Arne Maennig[_2_]

Martin Theodor Ludwig wrote:

Do you know the "Festwiese" (opposite to Schwanthaler-74)?

Last time I came out there was at 3:20 am, with an empty purse but with
Munich's most charming ophthalmologist in my arms. It was not exactly
cheap (due to the bunch of assistant personnel I also had to entertain)
but definitely worth it. :-)

Jens
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Turan Fettahoglu

Last time I came out there was at 3:20 am, with an empty purse but with
Munich's most charming ophthalmologist in my arms.

I bet her first name is Sigrun, she has a surgery in München-Giesing and is
a former employee of the Augenklinik Mathildenstrasse? -

(She once treated me in an emergency case when she had a severe cold and I
had a good laugh afterwards.)

Old March 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Many informations about Munich you will find he http://www.lessordinary.eu
.. It is a very nice City guide to Munich. (Guided Tours, Suwbway
Ticket, Maps, Shopping, Nice Cafes...)
Clubs: Erste Liga, Cafe am Hochhaus, Registratur.
Hotels: Uhland, Seibel, Jedermann
Hostels: Meinigers, A&O, Jaegers, Wombats

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David

On 18 Mar, 18:05, wrote:
Many informations about Munich you will find hehttp://www.lessordinary.eu
. It is a very nice City guide to Munich. (Guided Tours, Suwbway
Ticket, Maps, Shopping, Nice Cafes...)
Clubs: Erste Liga, Cafe am Hochhaus, Registratur.
Hotels: Uhland, Seibel, Jedermann
Hostels: Meinigers, A&O, Jaegers, Wombats

- also, STR that the tourist info. office [same block as Town Hall /
That Clock ] sells a nifty little printed guide especially for young
people in Munich.