trip to greece and italy

Old March 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default trip to greece and italy

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:40:26 +0000, G wrote
(in article ):

3. my list of places i want to see are as follows :
greece - crete, athens,meteora, delphi, naxos, mykonos, corfu and santorini.

You might be able to these in 16 days but it would be a bit frantic. If you
want to do islands then you can see about 3 in a week reasonably comfortably.
Realistically it takes a day to travel from one island to the next. The
normal way to do this is by ferry - flights do not go directly, only to and
from Athens. You have to slow down when you travel in Greece, it's part of
the charm of the country.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:29:30 -0400, "G"
wrote:

very good tips guys. looking for more specifics. from what i can gather so
far - its important to be strict in what im seeing. which is fine - i plan
to doing sleeper trains and travelling or lounging on a couple of beaches
during the day.

i will drop milan. as for some of the other posters - i definitely want to
see both italy and greece this year. i understand to some ppl it makes more
sense to spend an entire vacation in one country but unfortunately i do not
have the time. i do plan on revisiting both places but really got my heart
set on seeing both this year. as for taking a longer vacation i cannot do
that at the moment without losing my job.

any other specifics on places to drop in greece or italy? thanks!!

How did you intend travelling between Greece, the Greek
Islands and Italy? Ferry or Plane or a combination?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, B Vaughan wrote:

If you want to see both Italy and Greece in a short time, it would
make sense to stick to the east coast of Italy, where the ferries from
Greece come in.

Although I'm not marchigiano, I fully agree with Barbara's
recommendation.

them for your next trip. Get a ferry from Greece to Ancona, and then

A quick visit (or a day trip back) to Ancona (S.Ciriaco, the rocks at
the Passetto, and some other parts in the old centre) is also worth. The
two arches (the roman, Hadrian's, and the papal one) in the harbour
precinct are instead nothing special.

take a train to Fano, where you can stay for your entire time in Italy
rather cheaply. Fano is a small Italian city right by the sea. It has
a bit of ancient remains, but not much.

You're despising it too much. When I was a child, I was quite impressed
by Fano, the roman walls, the Arch of Augustus ... If it is well kept as
many other places in the Marche I've seen recently it should be even
better than I recall it.

sightseeing. From Fano, you can take a bus to Urbino and see one of
Italy's great (but little-known) Renaissance cities.

Urbino is definitely a must. Pity there is no longer the train line.
There are other possible destinations of nearby day trips (Pesaro,
Fossombrone, the gorge of the Furlo with the roman tunnel, Gradara's
castle [although Barbara does not like it ... I liked the footpath from
the old station, all surrounded by pomegranate trees] ... as a
"special curiosity" I've heard they've made up a little science museum
in a place called Saltara or something similar ... this year they should
have a large biographical exhibition about the physicist Beppo
Occhialini, who was born in Fossombrone 100 years ago ... it was
announced at the centennial celebrations at the University of Milan
a month ago).

Venice is about 4 hours from Fano by train, so you could even make it
a day trip and avoid changing hotels.

Seems long for a day trip. But one could do closer places. Definitely
Ravenna with all byzantine monuments (probably requires change of train
in Rimini, but should be about 1 hour total), maybe Bologna, or perhaps
Ferrara.

Rome is also about 4 hours from Fano by train, although you have to
change trains. It would be hard to see much of Rome in one day though.

If the OP flies back from there it makes sense to use that route. I
guess "change" means going back to Ancona, if one wants to pick a direct
train. Can you confirm instead that for a local trip involving regional
trains (e.g. to Fabriano or the caves of Frasassi - I noticed there is a
train station very near to the shuttle bus departure point) one could
change in Falconara [an intermediate station between Fano and Ancona] ?

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:33:02 +0100, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

.... Gradara's
castle [although Barbara does not like it ... I liked the footpath from
the old station, all surrounded by pomegranate trees] ...

Maybe I should go back to see those pomegranate trees.

Venice is about 4 hours from Fano by train, so you could even make it
a day trip and avoid changing hotels.

Seems long for a day trip.

When my sister was visiting me, we took a day trip to Venice from
Corinaldo, leaving my car at the station in Senigallia and taking the
train. It was a long day, and unfortunately a very hot day. We saved
time (and money) by taking a packed lunch and eating on the train, and
then buying some supper materials near the station to eat on the way
home. (I wouldn't go to Venice for the restaurants, anyway.)

Rome is also about 4 hours from Fano by train, although you have to
change trains. It would be hard to see much of Rome in one day though.

If the OP flies back from there it makes sense to use that route. I
guess "change" means going back to Ancona, if one wants to pick a direct
train.

There is one direct train a day from Rimini to Rome; however, it goes
all the way to Ancona, then goes back over the same track before
heading to Rome from Falconara. My husband and I took this route once
because we needed to leave the car in Senigallia, but it is normally
much faster for us to drive to Jesi and catch the train to Rome there.

Can you confirm instead that for a local trip involving regional
trains (e.g. to Fabriano or the caves of Frasassi - I noticed there is a
train station very near to the shuttle bus departure point) one could
change in Falconara [an intermediate station between Fano and Ancona] ?

Yes, that's true. You change trains Falconara. The entire trip takes
an hour and a half to the caverns of Frasassi, less to Fabriano. The
station for the caverns is called S. Vittore Terme. This would be a
very nice day trip from Fano. These caverns are the nicest I've ever
seen, and in a very scenic spot. If you leave early, on the way back
you could stop off at Fabriano, which has a very attractive central
piazza and a very interesting museum of paper manufacturing at one of
Europe's oldest paper mills. The last time I was there, I was
accompanying some American friends and we asked if there was a tour
available in English. The guide who gave us the tour was so
interesting and enthusiastic that I would recommend taking the English
tour even if your English is not the best.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it