Germany trip first week of April, any suggestions?

Old March 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Germany trip first week of April, any suggestions?

2 adults with 2 kids (ages 14 and 10), renting a car out of Frankfurt
and driving to Heidelberg, next day to Strasbourg (daughter has to see
France), next day to Titisee / Triberg area, next day to Lindau, next
day to Fussen/Castles ending in Garmish, 2 nights there and then up to
Munich for one day/night. Any must see's? What to do in the black
forest / Titisee? Thanks!

Old March 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Living in Germany

Around lake constance here are some nice thing:

Reichenau island: 3 really nice churches and alot of garden.
Meersburg: One of the older castles in germany
Langenargen(or around there): a blimp museum, really nice and has a
full size replica of the Hendenburg

However for must sees around that area none really, same with Triberg.

Old March 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

On Mar 20, 3:31 pm, "Living in Germany" wrote:
Around lake constance here are some nice thing:

Reichenau island: 3 really nice churches and alot of garden.
Meersburg: One of the older castles in germany
Langenargen(or around there): a blimp museum, really nice and has a
full size replica of the Hendenburg

However for must sees around that area none really, same with Triberg.

Meersburg besides having the castle is the loveliest town on the lake.

The blimp museum is in Friedrichshafen. For something very different
and very expensive, take a ride over the Bodensee on one of the
zeppelins based at the airport there.

In addition, Hohentwiel by Singen is considered to be Germany's
largest castle ruins and sits atop a former volcano.

The nice church at the monastery in Ottobeuren is packed full of
beautiful Baroque religious items.

George

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
CalifBill

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 adults with 2 kids (ages 14 and 10), renting a car out of Frankfurt
and driving to Heidelberg, next day to Strasbourg (daughter has to see
France), next day to Titisee / Triberg area, next day to Lindau, next
day to Fussen/Castles ending in Garmish, 2 nights there and then up to
Munich for one day/night. Any must see's? What to do in the black
forest / Titisee? Thanks!

Seems like too much driving and not enough seeing. Heidelberg, take a tour
on the Nekker River. Lunch in the museum in Heidelberg was very nice.

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"CalifBill" kirjoitti
arthlink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 adults with 2 kids (ages 14 and 10), renting a car out of Frankfurt
and driving to Heidelberg, next day to Strasbourg (daughter has to see
France), next day to Titisee / Triberg area, next day to Lindau, next
day to Fussen/Castles ending in Garmish, 2 nights there and then up to
Munich for one day/night. Any must see's? What to do in the black
forest / Titisee? Thanks!

Seems like too much driving and not enough seeing. Heidelberg, take a
tour on the Nekker River. Lunch in the museum in Heidelberg was very
nice.

The stream is called Neckar.

Old March 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alex Neri

I agree with Ettal and not too far from it is the Linderhof castle. This
castle was actually lived in by Ludwig and I think more enjoyable than
Neuschwanstein. Also near Garmisch would be the Zugpitze summit, the highest
point in Germany. And if you have time, a drive to Innbruck, Austria is
something I would recommend. In general, driving through Bavaria you'll see
one of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe.

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message
schrieb:
2 adults with 2 kids (ages 14 and 10), renting a car out of Frankfurt
and driving to Heidelberg, next day to Strasbourg (daughter has to see
France), next day to Titisee / Triberg area, next day to Lindau, next
day to Fussen/Castles ending in Garmish, 2 nights there and then up to
Munich for one day/night.

Near Garmisch theres the Ettal Monastery. Nice to look at, famous ceiling
and good monastery beer. Be careful about driving. They don't do any
"light" beers there and the roads are courvy.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

"CalifBill" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
2 adults with 2 kids (ages 14 and 10), renting a car out of Frankfurt
and driving to Heidelberg, next day to Strasbourg (daughter has to see
France), next day to Titisee / Triberg area, next day to Lindau, next
day to Fussen/Castles ending in Garmish, 2 nights there and then up to
Munich for one day/night. Any must see's? What to do in the black
forest / Titisee? Thanks!

Seems like too much driving and not enough seeing. Heidelberg, take a

tour
on the Nekker River. Lunch in the museum in Heidelberg was very nice.

You have received a lot of good advice so far. But, I agree with California
Bill. A lot of driving with not a lot of time in each location. But, if it
is a first time, and you just want to see the countryside, you will get to
see a lot of different areas during your visit.

On one of our trips many years age, we enjoyed the "Herrenchiemsee, a
complex of royal buildings on the Herreninsel, an island in the middle of
the Chiemsee, Bavaria's largest lake, 60 km south east of Munich." Notes
taken from Wikipedia, the on-line free encyclopedia. But, you may want to
spend more time in Munich.

You might consider using the trip planning capabilities of the Michelin site
at http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm We did
this the last time we visited Germany, and made a 2,600 mile trip over 28
days through Germany, The Czech Republic, and Austria without missing a
turn.

Have a great time.

Joe in Texas

Old March 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alex Neri

The two agree that there's too much driving but based on the information he
posted, does he have any alternative? I don't think a train would be
practical and flying between locations is probably not an option and so that
leaves driving. Though you guys may have a point, you neglect to consider
what would be his alternatives. Actually, the best way to go through
Bavaria, weather permitting of course, is with a motorcycle, and I saw lots
of them when I was there. But with 2 kids ages 10 and 14, I'm not sure
that's practical either.

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
ink.net...

ups.com...

Old March 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

I didn't offer any alternatives, because as you say, "based on the
information he
posted, does he have any alternative?" was exactly what I understood. I
told him the countryside would be essentially a good part of his trip. And,
I gave him a good site that I felt would help him do a good job of finding
the best routes to take. And, I did give him one more spot that was near
his trip route. Best I could do in the way of suggestions.

Joe in Texas

"Alex Neri" wrote in message
The two agree that there's too much driving but based on the information

he
posted, does he have any alternative? I don't think a train would be
practical and flying between locations is probably not an option and so

that
leaves driving. Though you guys may have a point, you neglect to consider
what would be his alternatives. Actually, the best way to go through
Bavaria, weather permitting of course, is with a motorcycle, and I saw

lots
of them when I was there. But with 2 kids ages 10 and 14, I'm not sure
that's practical either.

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message

"CalifBill" wrote in message
ink.net...