life after Windows....

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default life after Windows....

In article ,
dest wrote:

Linux is way to much
customizable.

Now that strikes me as an advantage. One of my complaints about some
"up"grades I've been forced to accept is that they chop out customizable
features I found very useful in favor of supposedly idiotproof clunky
features. And that's from a Mac point of view! At least with pre-OS X
Mac I could keep using old versions for quite a while.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
William Black

"Doug Jewell" wrote in message

There is no single standardised configuration
store like the registry.

Thank God.

. There is no single standardised GUI.

You should have been around a few years ago when Windows wasn't the only
choice arounf the place.

I rather liked an operating system called GEM made by Digital research, but
Microsoft killed it, and I don't mean outsold it, I mean sued them and
stopped them selling it under very strange circumstances.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:41:31 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:
William Black writes:

Sorry, XP.

Who cares, it's all crap.

That's true for Windows 9x, but not for versions of Windows descended from
Windows NT, which, as I've said, is a totally different operating system.

That explains how all the worms and viruses running around in the wild
are for unix. Not.

or Mac. Not.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Yeh, except probably every bank on the planet, major investment houses,
probably tons of government agencies, etc.

German government agencies won't run Windows as there's requirement for
their software to be open source.

The UK government is trying to move towards this but do seem to insist on
employing imbeciles like Capita to do their systems planning, which means
stuff doesn't work anyway...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
William Black

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

William Black writes:

The major advantage of using Linux is security.

The "security" of Linux is illusory. Its only security advantage is that
it's
too small a target to merit attacks.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Linux machines are attacked
and some are also compromised.

I know.

They obviously weren't properly 'locked down'.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:28:05 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:06:52 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
m...
William Black writes:

Right now I'm running two computers, Ubuntu on the new one and W98
SP2
on
an elderly Dell, with a KVM switch and a teeny weenie Samba server
running
2x 500Gig disks in RAID 1 for backup storage.

Windows 98 is a completely different operating system from Windows XP.

Sorry, XP.

Who cares, it's all crap.

It isn't all crap. W98 is from a decade ago.
WinXP and NT are totally different products.
I've used WinXP since 2002 and never had a crash.

I wish.

I've had a vanilla Dell desk-top running XP since about 2006 and I've lost
count of the reinstalls I've had to do.

At least half a dozen so far.

I have never had to reinstall. Between us we have it running on three Dell
Desktop PCs since 2002, including one where the a very close relative
downloaded
all sorts of junk and viruses, but we have never had to do a reinstall.

Then you've been very lucky...

Just about everyone I know who runs a Windows desktop of any type has needed
a reinstall at some point.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

Default aracari/humminbird is a no nothing newbie life after Windows....

In article ,
John Stubbings wrote:

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:15:15 GMT, Franklin wrote:

Schrodinger's cat? Maybe he meant Stubbings's cat?

My cat is a multi dimensional being capable of spontaneously appearing on
my lap...

Isn't that true of all cats?

Old March 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
Mxsmanic

William Black writes:

"Lou Ravi" wrote in message

I don't have a server nor do the vast majority of computer users.

So what do you back up to?

It's very easy to back up to a removable external disk, such as a USB disk.
That's probably the best option for desktop users these days.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:43:51 -0000, William Black wrote in post :
:

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:06:52 -0000, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
om...
William Black writes:

[...]

We have about 60 PCs running XP (that is all the staff), and only once have
we had reinstalled XP - and that was because of an awkward combination of a
virus combined with a new graphics card, and it was just easier that way.
We could probably have got around it but you know, time is money.

--
Tim C.
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc
Mxsmanic

White Spirit writes:

I often run FreeBSD as well but to say that it is a real UNIX(tm) as
opposed to a fake UNIX(tm) is ridiculous. Beyond POSIX compliance, what
more do you want?

FreeBSD and the other freeware BSDs are actual descendants of UNIX, whereas
Linux has a kernel that is a clone of UNIX functionality.

Additionally, the BSD operating systems are complete operating systems that
are functional "out of the box," whereas Linux is just a kernel around which a
great deal of additional software must be added in order to get anything
resembling a functional operating system. And since everyone adds something
different, there are zillions of different "distributions" of Linux, whereas
there's only one FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.