Thailand the most hazardous destination

Old July 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
none[_1_]

Default Thailand the most hazardous destination

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

On the other hand, they could have gone to Ireland, which Norwich Union
diplomatically called the "safest destination".

Dawn McMullan, travel product manager at Norwich Union, said:

"The purpose of our research is not to worry tourists looking forward
to their summer holidays," heaven forbid. It is "just to make them
aware of what can go wrong when they're away from home.

"The majority of holidays go off without a hitch, but we would advise
everyone to take the same precautions abroad as they would here" in
Britain.

The survey found travellers to South Africa were the most likely to
suffer violent robberies or lose belongings in transit. The Czech
Republic won the Norwich Union award for greatest risk of being
pickpocketed. The survey found the Caribbean was the worst place for
insect bites and stings.

In Austria, visitors were subject to all those snowboarding or skiing
accidents, although the survey provided no figures on such accidents in
Thailand.

After Ireland, the most boring destinations were Belgium, Holland,
Germany and France.

In a major surprise, Ms McMullan, who makes her living from the
insurance company, said nevertheless that, "Our research shows that you
need to take a little extra care in certain countries and of course
make sure you are adequately covered by travel insurance." (Compiled
from agency reports)

Old July 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

none wrote:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

On the other hand, they could have gone to Ireland, which Norwich Union
diplomatically called the "safest destination".

Or they could just stay home.

Old July 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"none" kirjoitti
legroups.com...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

Sounds very robost and sound a survey to me. Nokidding. I find places like
Sudan and Yemen riskier. Perhaps the only factor riskier in Thailand is
traffic. And this only so because supposedly there is no traffic in Yemen
and Sudan apart from camel convoys. Perhaps I should point out that I have
never visited either of the two African countries.

Radio Yerevan just broadcasted that more fatalities occur at home than
anywhere else. This is the reason why that one Swede put his house on sale
and moved out of town.

Old July 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

none wrote:
[...]

I assume the reason an insurance company would come up with this result
is that Thailand is the Third World destination that gets the most
idiot travellers, who ride motor scooters on crappy roads when drunk or
with no riding experience, abuse alcohol and drugs, take no precautions
against theft, and pay no attention to where or what they eat. Many
people think Thailand is just Ibiza East, and don't realize that doing
the same exact things there they would do in a cheesy Mediterranean
resort may put them in serious danger.

For visitors who take a minimal amount of time to learn about the
country and don't do anything dumb, Thailand is mostly very safe.

Old July 10th, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"none" kirjoitti
legroups.com...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

Sounds very robost and sound a survey to me. Nokidding. I find places like
Sudan and Yemen riskier. Perhaps the only factor riskier in Thailand is
traffic. And this only so because supposedly there is no traffic in Yemen
and Sudan apart from camel convoys. Perhaps I should point out that I have
never visited either of the two African countries.

Iraq and Afghanistan are probably the two most dangerous places in the
world right now. Somalia, Papua New Guinea, Colombia, Democratic
Republic of the Congo, and Nigeria are definitely up there. But those
places see virtually no tourists, so there would be a negligble number
of travel insurance claims from them.

Old July 10th, 2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"none" kirjoitti
legroups.com...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

Sounds very robost and sound a survey to me. Nokidding. I find places like
Sudan and Yemen riskier. Perhaps the only factor riskier in Thailand is
traffic. And this only so because supposedly there is no traffic in Yemen
and Sudan apart from camel convoys. Perhaps I should point out that I have
never visited either of the two African countries.

It dosen't say if the figures are based on the number of visitors to
each country. Thailand gets a lot of visitors so obviously there are a
lot more claims.

And this is the funniest sentence: "In Austria, visitors were subject
to all those snowboarding or skiing accidents, although the survey
provided no figures on such accidents in Thailand." Right. there are
a lot of skiing accidents in Thailand.

Old July 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

PeterL wrote:
none wrote:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

On the other hand, they could have gone to Ireland, which Norwich Union
diplomatically called the "safest destination".

Or they could just stay home.

Hmmm.... Did the survey include claims of those who stayed home and
rank that option also?

Old July 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb

My vote would go to eastern Iraq.

Old July 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Peter Webb wrote:
My vote would go to eastern Iraq.

The major cities and the Western provinces ("Sunni triangle") are the
most dangerous parts.

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected][_1_]

none wrote:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=108173

The planet's most dangerous destination

A survey by Norwich Union insurance of Britain has found the most
hazardous, the most dangerous, the riskiest spot on Earth: Thailand.

According to a survey of 60,000 claims by Norwich-insured travellers,
visitors to Thailand are at (almost) deadly risk of food poisoning,
theft, traffic accidents or the loss of belongings.

based on my personal experience and a lot of travelling, this is not
true.

I have contracted an intestinal ailment once in thailand, but three
times in india. Thai people are extremely clean. The people running the
street stall wash their dishes with soap. I have eaten at the street
stalls all over thailand for years.

they say the tuk-tuks in thailand, mainly bangkok, are dangerous but i
never once saw an accident involving one.

I have had minor things stolen in thailand, but no more than in mexican
or taiwan or europe.

--- sarp