"Britain By Britrail" book

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
drevil0208

Default "Britain By Britrail" book

Has anyone ever read "Britain By Britrail" by LaVerne
Ferguson-Kosinksi? They have it on chapters.ca for $17... but they
don't have it any stores so there's no way of looking at it to see
what's in it. Is it actually worth having? I already have a Frommer's
England Guide... does this contain any useful information that would be
useful if you were touring by train?

Thanks

Nick

Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Arwel Parry

In message ,
writes
In article om,

*From:* "drevil0208"
*Date:* 23 Aug 2006 07:36:20 -0700

Has anyone ever read "Britain By Britrail" by LaVerne
Ferguson-Kosinksi? They have it on chapters.ca for $17... but they
don't have it any stores so there's no way of looking at it to see
what's in it. Is it actually worth having? I already have a Frommer's
England Guide... does this contain any useful information that would be
useful if you were touring by train?

Reading the description of the Britrail book at
http://www.railpass.com/GUIDES/viewBBB.htm I suspect it will duplicate a
lot of the Frommer's information and I wouldn't bother with it unless you
feel you need a lot of hand-holding!

Timetables can be found at www.nationalrail.co.uk (and note that those in
the book may well be out of date by now).

It's worth noting that the printed British rail timetable (a 2000+ page
book that sells for about £16) will no longer be produced from some date
in the not-too-distant future - sales have been declining for years and
it's no longer economic. They'll produce downloadable pdf files instead.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
archierob[_1_]

If you are very rich - travel by rail - here in the UK we enjoy one of
the highest rates per mile of rail travel in the world. You have to be
a genius or have the patience of Job to understand the fare structure.
My advice is to travel by coach - a fraction of the price.

Old August 24th, 2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
drevil0208

archierob wrote:
If you are very rich - travel by rail - here in the UK we enjoy one of
the highest rates per mile of rail travel in the world. You have to be
a genius or have the patience of Job to understand the fare structure.
My advice is to travel by coach - a fraction of the price.

A BritRail England Pass costs approx. $497 Canadian (about 230 GBP) for
15 days, unlimited travel in First Class (with the off-season 25%
discount).

Nick

Old August 24th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Dailey

I've used "Britain by Britrail" twice, in 1992 and 2004. Both times I
found it to be very useful. Besides timetables, there is advice on
practical matters such as how to buy tickets, difference between 1st and
2nd class, which stations have left-luggage offices, how to connect
between the rail stations in London, etc. I don't know how much this
overlaps with Frommer's.

The author is big into using a city as a base (London, Glasgow, or
Edinburgh in the case of the 1992 and 2004 editions) and doing day trips
by train to surrounding cities.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA

23 Aug 2006, 1841 PDT

http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
GG

"Stephen Dailey" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't know how much train travel you intend to do, but some years ago we did
several trips in Britain and found the book "See Britain by Train" very
helpful. It's an AA book, now out of print, but used copies are available
on Amazon. It highlights particularly scenic train routes which, I hope,
are still functioning even if under the management of different rail
companies. ISBN for the soft cover version is 0861457609, for the hardback
0861458370. We did the Settle to Carlisle, Llandudno Junction to Blaenau
Ffestiniog, and Hereford to Oxford runs. This book offers descriptions of
the towns and scenes along each route, and covers trains in England,
Scotland and Wales.

GG

Old August 31st, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Arwel Parry wrote:

[]
It's worth noting that the printed British rail timetable (a 2000+ page
book that sells for about £16) will no longer be produced from some date
in the not-too-distant future - sales have been declining for years and
it's no longer economic. They'll produce downloadable pdf files instead.

For a fee, I take it?

While not the same thing as a printed timetable, in the UK I find the
national rail information on WAP invaluable on the move (accessing it
via mobile phone). In the rest of Europe, I use the DB WAP site.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Neil Williams

archierob wrote:

My advice is to travel by coach - a fraction of the price.

And a fraction of the comfort. No, thanks.

The "highest fares" thing that gets wheeled out from time to time tends
to be based on Open fares, anyhow. Leisure travellers rarely, if ever,
need to pay these, and the advance-purchase fares are often
*ridiculously* cheap if you can book in advance.

Neil