Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

Old January 16th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Jerry.james Jerry.james is offline
Banned

They will sign off on the spot as Norman says. I am not sure what
extra policy you are contemplating I do take extra coverage with me
through my travel insurance. I did have an accident in Tasmania, but
that time my coverage had been arranged locally so I do not know if
supplemental insurance was a part, but I did not have to pay even
though the front corner of the driver's side was clipped by a right
turning vehicle.
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:41:38 GMT, "neverwas"
wrote:

I think most major credit cards do this, at least if you're above the
basic level. I know my Visa Platinum card does.

FWIW nor do any of my 3 UK credit cards provide cover for car hire.

It sounds like you are contemplating the kind of third party insurance
that I encourage and that I take on my rentals in Australia. ie in
lieu of the CDW from the car hire company.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

You probably recommend it because it has very fat margins.

By any reasonable standards, CDW from car hire companies is a complete
rip-off.

I insure a $60,000 motor car for about $800 per annum, or about $2.50 per
day. That's $2.50 to insure a $60,000 loss. The excess on most car rentals
is $2,000, and that is all most CDW covers. It typically costs $20/day.

So when I am driving my own car, $2.50 a day carries a $60,000 risk. If I am
driving a rental car, $20 carries a $2,000 risk. The insurance per dollar
covered for CDW is 240 times as much for other car insurance.

That's basically why some credit card companies give it away for free. The
real value of insuring a $2,000 excess through CDW is probably closer to
$2,000/$60,000 * $2.50, which is about 8 cents a day. Small enough for
credit card companies to give it away for free. Yet car companies charge
$20/day. And many people buy it, because they can't work out the math to
realise what a rip-off it truly is.

Old January 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
neverwas

snip
It sounds like you are contemplating the kind of third party
insurance that I encourage and that I take on my rentals in
Australia. ie in lieu of the CDW from the car hire company.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

You probably recommend it because it has very fat margins.

By any reasonable standards, CDW from car hire companies is a complete
rip-off.

snip

Possibly some misunderstanding here?

I can't speak for Joseph Coulter's intended meaning but what I took him
to mean was that he buys insurance from a company *other than the car
hire company* to cover the excess on damage plus such things as damage
to tyres & windscreen. That's what I am now doing with Questor
(http://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/).

Interestingly their annual policy for the world for 2 drivers (but
excluding SLI) costs GBP 60 (c. AUD 105 or AUD 0.30 per day) for cover
up to USD 80,000 for damage. That seems to me not bad at all - bearing
in mind that then when I used to deal with the car industry 20-odd years
ago they had firm figures to show drivers treat company and hire cars
differently from their own cars.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:27 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

"neverwas" wrote in message
om...
snip
[...]

My argument was CDW from car hire companies was a complete rip-off. Other
sources may be OK. (Indeed, as others have confirmed, some credit card
companies incude it for free, which is a very good deal indeed).

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
leila

I've been reading past threads as well and I'm really interested with
the extra liability insurance so thanks for doing the difficult job of
finding out more about it. I like to travel at my own pace so having
that kind of assurance is perfect for me.

--
leila
Message origin: TRAVEL.com