VISA rules when crossing CIS borders

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Default VISA rules when crossing CIS borders

This Easter I am planning to fly to Vilnius, then take the train from
Vilnius to Minsk and then train from Minsk to St Petersburg. I am a
Norwegian Citizen and I know I will not need a visa for Litheunia.

My questions a

-If I have got it right - As long as my passport and visa is ok, I will
not need a returnticket on entry?

-Can my Russian and Bellarussian visas have overlapping periods of
validity?

-Do I have to decide upon what bordercrossings to use when I issue my
visas? I know that I have to check if the bordercrossing in question
can be used by foreigners / non-CIS citizens.

Thank you in advance,

Jan

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Marc wrote:
schreef in bericht
ups.com...
This Easter I am planning to fly to Vilnius, then take the train

from
Vilnius to Minsk and then train from Minsk to St Petersburg. I am a
Norwegian Citizen and I know I will not need a visa for Litheunia.

My questions a

-If I have got it right - As long as my passport and visa is ok, I

will
not need a returnticket on entry?

I wish it was so easy. I have visited Russia several times the past

few
years and regulations were never the same. Last time I went, I had to

register on arrival exactly where (an when) I was going to stay. I

also got
a piece of paper I had to carry with me during my whole stay (not a

visa,
but a kind of 'proof of arrival') and give it back when leaving the

country.

I know that I get a emigrationcard that needs to be registered on
handed over to the the autorities at depature. (I know they are strict
about this in Russia, but from the information I have got, the
emigrationcard is hardly ever checked in Belarus or Ukrain)

I also know that I have to book some accomondation in order to get a
visa invitation in the first place and that I need to regiter my visa
within 3 days.

What I wonder is if it matters where I cross the border on entry and
exit, as long as I use a bordercrossing open for foreigners /non-CIS
recidents and I don't entry more than once / the numbers of entrys
allowed in my visa.

What I also wonder if it is ok to entry Russia on a tourist visa
without a return ticket? I have the impression that it is ok.

The reason I ask, is because I want to know if I can change my mind.
Say the plan was to leave Russia by a flight from St Petersburg, but I
find that I want to take a train to Tallin or Moscow and find a cheap
flight from there instead.

In general I would recommend to have as much planned as possible when

arriving in Russia. Unfortunately Russia has - except for Moscow and

St.
Petersburg - almost no tourist industry and adventure seekers easily

run
into trouble, especially those that travel on their own.

That is excatly why I find it wonderful to leave St Petersburg and
Moscow. I speak Russian and are experienced with booking hotels,
domestic traintickets etc on my own, so that is nothing to worry about.

I can't speak for Belarussia. I have never been there. But what I

hear, it's
equally or even more difficult than Russia.

From those who are experienced I learn that Belarus and Ukrain is less

complicated and strict than Russia. It is not unique that tourists skip
the visa registration in those countries and most of the time they
wioll get away with it. If they are caught, they hae to pay a fee
thouh, that is true. I will not recommend this prosedure for new
travellers to Ukrain and Belarus that don't now what they are doing or
have consulted experienced travellers though.

-Do I have to decide upon what bordercrossings to use when I issue

my
visas? I know that I have to check if the bordercrossing in

question
can be used by foreigners / non-CIS citizens.

Always take a border crossing for foreigners. Custom officers will

check
your visa and passport details in their computer.

Can I interpret your answer as you can choose any border crossing for
foregners as long as it is for foreigners? Say if the original plan was
to leave Russia with a flight from St Petersburg, there is no problem
to take a train to Tallin instead?

Jan